Your are viewing a read-only archive of the old DiS boards. Please hit the Community button above to engage with the DiS !
Some nice simple way to list topics you've posted in. Like recent comments, but not.
. everyones bored of basics so we are reinveting the wheel with sparklers in it
but not deployed. People moaned about the downtime... ^
they seem to be going in the wrong place every so often
It was something like:
1. A marker to show that you've posted in a topic (what you've said).
2. A marker to show that new posts have been added since your last visit (this might require some kind of cookie-magic).
3. If you can do No. 2 then I'd also like some way of new posts *within* threads to be marked, so that you don't end up scrolling up and down for ages only to find that someone's posted ':D' halfway down.
4. An ability to sort threads by clicking on the Field at the top of the board.
5. If you can't do No. 2, I'd really like a return to absolute times on the 'last post' column, as it's really hard to follow where new posts have been added when you refresh the board.
But, failing that, some kinda bar to show the point you've read up until in the list of topics?
The real trick of all of this is keeping it fast - it's all possible, though.
But is it really going to slow it up much more than it is at the moment? As far as I understand it, apart from hideous avatars, signatures and attachments, it is the nesting of replies that clogs up forums the most.
For example, forums using SMF 1.1.4 don't allow for nested replies, but - and I have to apologise here - are all significantly faster than DiS, while allowing for all of the features in my wishlist.
I appreciate that the nested replies are a defining characteristic of DiS, and I'd like to see them retained - I'd just question whether you're letting the tail wag the dog, for want of a better expression.
but I like the post-tracker thing where you can go to previous posts off your profile and it highlights them. Good work.
It wasn't so easy for other people to search all our previous posts and stuff because it makes me paranoid about people stealing my opinions.