Your are viewing a read-only archive of the old DiS boards. Please hit the Community button above to engage with the DiS !
Mine's 3 days after the battle of hogwarts
I checked your profile
Or, if you will, Ladies Love Cool Jook
He should count himself blessed.
in this place?
folklore says that if it rains on st swithens day it will rain every day for the next 30 days.
experience has proven this to be bollocks.
Take that Turkey!
of Chairman Mao. I was born nine days after his death (incubation period). I am being punished for his sins.
the 5th of november
i.e. the day Julius Caesar was done in.
Plus the anniversaries of the births of Billie Holliday, Francis Ford Coppola and Jackie Chan, the death of PT Barnum and America capturing Baghdad.
Antonis Daglis, a 23 year old Greek truck driver is sentenced to thirteen consecutive life sentences, plus 25 years for the serial slayings of three women and the attempted murder of six others.
* 303 - On a voyage preaching the gospel, Saint Fermin of Pamplona is beheaded in Amiens, France.
* 1066 - The Battle of Stamford Bridge marks the end of the Anglo-Saxon era.
* 1396 - Ottoman Emperor Bayezid I defeats a Christian army at the Battle of Nicopolis.
* 1513 - Spanish explorer Vasco Núñez de Balboa reached what would be known as the Pacific Ocean.
* 1555 - The Peace of Augsburg is signed in Augsburg by Charles V and the princes of the Schmalkaldic League.
* 1690 - "Publick Occurrences Both Foreign and Domestick", the first newspaper to appear in the Americas, is published for the first and only time.
* 1789 - The U.S. Congress passes twelve amendments to the United States Constitution: the Congressional Apportionment Amendment, the Congressional Compensation Amendment, and the ten that are known as the Bill of Rights. Only the Bill of Rights were ratified at the time, while the other two were proposed by James Madison but not ratified. In 1992, the Congressional Compensation Amendment was ratified as the 27th amendment to the Constitution.
* 1804 - The Teton Sioux (a subdivision of the Lakota) demand one of the boats from the Lewis and Clark Expedition as a toll for moving further upriver.
* 1846 - U.S. forces led by Zachary Taylor captured the Mexican city of Monterrey.
* 1868 - The Imperial Russian steam frigate Alexander Neuski shipwrecks off Jutland while carrying Grand Duke Alexei of Russia.
* 1906 - In the presence of the king and before a great crowd, Leonardo Torres Quevedo successfully demonstrates the invention of the Telekino in the port of Bilbao, guiding a boat from the shore, in what is considered the birth of the Remote control.
* 1911 - Ground is broken for Fenway Park in Boston, Massachusetts.
* 1912 - Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism is founded in New York, New York.
* 1915 - The Second Battle of Champagne begins.
* 1929 - Jimmy Doolittle performs the first blind flight from Mitchel Field proving that full Instrument Flying from take off to landing is possible.
* 1944 - Surviving elements of the British 1st Airborne Division withdraw from Arnhem in the Netherlands, thus ending the Battle of Arnhem and Operation Market Garden.
* 1955 - The Royal Jordanian Air Force is founded.
* 1957 - Central High School in Little Rock, Arkansas, is integrated through the use of United States Army troops.
* 1959 - Solomon Bandaranaike, prime minister of Sri Lanka is mortally wounded by a Buddhist monk, Talduwe Somarama, and dies the next day.
* 1962 - The People's Democratic Republic of Algeria is formally proclaimed. Ferhat Abbas is elected President of the provisional government.
* 1970 - Cease-fire between Jordan and the fedayeen ends fighting triggered by four hijackings on September 6 and 9.
* 1972 - In the Norwegian EC referendum, 1972, the people of Norway reject membership.
* 1978 - PSA Flight 182, a Boeing 727-214, collides in mid-air with a Cessna 172 and crashes in San Diego, California, resulting in the deaths of 144 people.
* 1980 - The first congress of the Democratic Youth Organization of Afghanistan held in Kabul.
* 1981 - Sandra Day O'Connor was the 102nd Justice sworn in as an Associate Justice of the Supreme Court of the United States, the first woman to hold the office.
* 1983 - Maze Prison escape. 38 republican prisoners, armed with 6 handguns, hijacked a prison meals lorry and smashed their way out of HMP Maze. The largest prison escape since WWII and in British history.
* 1996 - The last of the Magdalen Asylums closes in Ireland.
* 1997 - Wing Commander Andy Green, OBE (RAF) establishes the world Land Speed Record at Bonneville Salt Flats, Utah in the ThrustSSC jet-powered car, and becomes the first man to break the speed of sound on land.
* 2002 - The Vitim event, a possible bolide impact in Siberia, Russia.
* 2003 - A magnitude-8.0 earthquake strikes just offshore of Hokkaid?, Japan.
* 2005 - E1 Train Disaster
* 1358 - Ashikaga Yoshimitsu, Japanese shogun (d. 1408)
* 1525 - Steven Borough, English explorer (d. 1584)
* 1599 - Francesco Borromini, Italian architect (d. 1667)
* 1644 - Ole Rømer, Danish astronomer (d. 1710)
* 1683 - Jean-Philippe Rameau, French composer (d. 1764)
* 1694 - Henry Pelham, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom (d. 1754)
* 1711 - Qianlong Emperor of China (d. 1799)
* 1725 - Nicolas-Joseph Cugnot, French steam vehicle pioneer (d. 1804)
* 1738 - Nicholas Van Dyke, American lawyer and President of Delaware (d. 1789)
* 1764 - Fletcher Christian, English Bounty mutineer (d. 1793)
* 1766 - Armand-Emmanuel du Plessis, Duc de Richelieu, French-Russian statesman (d. 1822)
* 1773 - Agostino Bassi, Italian entomologist (d. 1856)
* 1780 - Jason Fairbanks, American murderer (d. 1801)
* 1782 - Charles Robert Maturin, Irish playwright and novelist (d. 1824)
* 1796 - Antoine-Louis Barye, French sculptor (d. 1875)
* 1798 - Jean-Baptiste Élie de Beaumont, French geologist (d. 1874)
* 1825 - William Pitt Ballinger, Texas lawyer and statesman (d. 1888)
* 1839 - Karl Alfred von Zittel, German palaeontologist (d. 1904)
* 1862 - Billy Hughes, seventh Prime Minister of Australia (d. 1952)
* 1866 - Thomas Hunt Morgan, American geneticist, Nobel laureate (d. 1945)
* 1867 - Evgenii Miller, Russian counter-revolutionary (d. 1938)
* 1879 - Lope K. Santos, Filipino writer and labor leader, Father of the Philippine National Language and Grammar (d. 1963)
* 1881 - Lu Xun, Chinese writer (d. 1936)
* 1889 - C. K. Scott-Moncrieff, Scottish writer and translator (d. 1930)
* 1896 - Sandro Pertini, President of the Italian Republic (d. 1990)
* 1897 - William Faulkner, American writer, Nobel laureate (d. 1962)
* 1898 - Robert Brackman American artist (d. 1980)
* 1901 - Robert Bresson, French film director (d. 1999)
* 1903 - Mark Rothko, Latvian-born American painter (d. 1970)
* 1906 - Dmitri Shostakovich, Russian composer (d. 1975)
* 1911 - Eric Williams, first Prime Minister of Trinidad and Tobago (d. 1981)
* 1915 - Ethel Rosenberg, American Communist (d. 1953)
* 1916 - Jessica Anderson, Australian author
* 1917 - Phil Rizzuto, American baseball player and sportscaster (d. 2007)
* 1917 - Johnny Sain, American baseball player (d. 2006)
* 1920 - Sergei Bondarchuk, Ukrainian-born actor (d. 1994)
* 1921 - Sir Robert Muldoon, Prime Minister of New Zealand (d. 1992)
* 1922 - Hammer DeRoburt, first President of Nauru (d. 1992)
* 1925 - Paul B. MacCready, Jr., American aeronautical engineer (d. 2007)
* 1925 - Silvana Pampanini, Italian actress
* 1926 - Aldo Ray, American actor (d. 1991)
* 1926 - Jack Hyles, Baptist pastor (d. 2001)
* 1927 - Sir Colin Davis, English conductor
* 1929 - Ronnie Barker, British comedian and actor (d. 2005)
* 1929 - Barbara Walters, American broadcaster
* 1930 - Shel Silverstein, American humorist and author (d. 1999)
* 1931 - Manouchehr Atashi, Iranian poet (d. 2005)
* 1932 - Glenn Gould, Canadian pianist and composer (d. 1982)
* 1932 - Terry Medwin, Welsh retired footballer
* 1932 - Adolfo Suárez, Prime Minister of Spain (1977-1981)
* 1933 - Hubie Brown, American basketball coach and broadcaster
* 1933 - Brian Murphy, British actor
* 1934 - Jean Sorel, French actor
* 1936 - Juliet Prowse, British actress and dancer (d. 1996)
* 1938 - Jonathan Motzfeldt, first Prime Minister of Greenland
* 1939 - Feroz Khan, Indian actor
* 1943 - Robert Gates, American Secretary of Defense
* 1943 - John Locke, American musician (d. 2006)
* 1944 - Michael Douglas, American actor and producer
* 1944 - Doris Matsui, American politician
* 1945 - Carol Vadnais, Canadian ice hockey player
* 1946 - Felicity Kendal, British actress
* 1946 - Bryan MacLean, American musician and songwriter (Love) (d. 1998)
* 1946 - Jerry Penrod, American bass player
* 1947 - Cheryl Tiegs, American model
* 1951 - Mark Hamill, American actor
* 1952 - Christopher Reeve, American actor (d. 2004)
* 1952 - Gloria Jean Watkins, American scholar
* 1952 - Anson Williams, American actor and director
* 1953 - Richard Harvey, British musician and composer (Gryphon)
* 1954 - Sylvester Croom, American college football coach
* 1954 - Juande Ramos, Spanish Football Manager
* 1955 - Steven Severin, British musician (Siouxsie & the Banshees)
* 1955 - Karl-Heinz Rummenigge, German footballer
* 1955 - Ludo Coeck, Belgian footballer (d. 1985)
* 1956 - Jamie Hyneman, American visual effects technician
* 1957 - Ian Reddington, English actor
* 1958 - Michael Madsen, American actor
* 1958 - Eamonn Healy, Irish chemist
* 1960 - Igor Belanov, Ukrainian footballer
* 1960 - Sonia Benezra, Canadian television host
* 1961 - Heather Locklear, American actress and model
* 1962 - Aida Turturro, American actress
* 1963 - Keely Shaye Smith, American journalist; wife of Pierce Brosnan
* 1963 - Tate Donovan, American actor
* 1964 - Anita Barone, American actress
* 1964 - Kikuko Inoue, Japanese singer and voice actress (seiy?)
* 1964 - Joey Saputo, Canadian businessman and sports executive
* 1964 - Gary Ayles, British racing driver
* 1964 - Maria Doyle Kennedy, Irish actress and singer
* 1965 - Scottie Pippen, American basketball player
* 1967 - Kim Issel, Canadian ice hockey player
* 1968 - Will Smith, American actor and rapper
* 1968 - John Worsfold, Australian rules football coach
* 1968 - Prince Johan-Friso of Orange-Nassau
* 1969 - Catherine Zeta-Jones, Welsh actress
* 1969 - Hal Sparks, American actor
* 1969 - Heather Stewart-Whyte, British supermodel
* 1970 - Dean Ween, American musician (Ween)
* 1971 - John Lynch, American football player
* 1971 - Brian Dunkleman, American actor
* 1973 - Bridgette Wilson, American actress
* 1973 - Tijani Babangida, Nigerian footballer
* 1973 - Bridget Marquardt, American model
* 1974 - Daniel Kessler, American musician (Interpol)
* 1975 - Declan Donnelly, English television presenter (Ant and Dec)
* 1975 - Matt Hasselbeck, American football player
* 1975 - Daniel Hyde, British actor
* 1976 - Chauncey Billups, American basketball player
* 1977 - Clea DuVall, American actress
* 1977 - Mike Krahulik, Illustrator
* 1977 - Wil Nieves, Puerto Rican baseball player
* 1978 - Roudolphe Douala, Cameroonian footballer
* 1978 - Ricardo Gardner, Jamaican footballer
* 1978 - Jodie Kidd, English model
* 1978 - Joel Pineiro, Puerto Rican baseball player
* 1980 - T.I., American rapper
* 1981 - Rocco Baldelli, American baseball player
* 1981 - Jason Bergmann, American baseball player
* 1981 - Shane Tutmarc, American songwriter and musician
* 1981 - Van Hansis, American actor
* 1982 - Hyun Bin, South Korean actor
* 1983 - Terrance Pennington, National Football League guard
* 1984 - Matt Carle, American ice hockey player
* 1985 - Calvin Johnson, American football player
* 1990 - Mao Asada, Japanese figure skater
* 1994 - Jansen Panettiere, American actor
* 1066 - Killed at the Battle of Stamford Bridge:
o 1066 - Tostig Godwinson, Earl of Northumbria
o 1066 - Harald III of Norway (b. 1015)
* 1086 - William VIII, Duke of Aquitaine (b. 1025)
* 1333 - Prince Morikuni, Japanese shogun (b. 1301)
* 1496 - Piero Capponi, Italian soldier and statesman (b. 1447)
* 1506 - King Philip I of Castile (b. 1478)
* 1534 - Pope Clement VII (b. 1478)
* 1536 - Johannes Secundus, Dutch poet (b. 1511)
* 1602 - Caspar Peucer, German reformer (b. 1525)
* 1617 - Francisco Suarez, Spanish Jesuit theologian (b. 1548)
* 1617 - Emperor Go-Yozei of Japan (b. 1617)
* 1626 - Lancelot Andrewes, English scholar and Bishop of the Church of England (b. 1555)
* 1630 - Ambrogio Spinola, marqués de los Balbases, Italian general (b. 1569)
* 1665 - Maria Anna of Austria, Electress of Bavaria (b. 1610)
* 1703 - Archibald Campbell, 1st Duke of Argyll, Scottish privy councillor (b. 1658)
* 1774 - John Bradstreet, Canadian-born soldier (b. 1714)
* 1777 - Johann Heinrich Lambert, German scientist (b. 1728)
* 1791 - William Bradford, American printer (b. 1719)
* 1792 - Adam Gottlob Moltke, Danish statesman (b. 1710)
* 1794 - Paul Rabaut, French Huguenot pastor (b. 1718)
* 1825 - Joachim Heer, Swiss politician (b. 1879)
* 1849 - Johann Strauss, Senior, Austrian composer (b. 1804)
* 1867 - Oliver Loving, American pioneer rancher (b. 1812)
* 1900 - Félix-Gabriel Marchand, premier of Québec (b. 1832)
* 1901 - Arthur Fremantle, British general and American Civil War observer (b. 1835)
* 1905 - Jacques Marie Eugène Godefroy Cavaignac, French politician (b. 1853)
* 1917 - Thomas Ashe, Irish revolutionary (b. 1885)
* 1918 - Mikhail Alekseev, Russian general (b. 1857)
* 1926 - Herbert Booth, son of William and Catherine Booth (b. 1862)
* 1929 - Miller Huggins, American baseball player and manager (b. 1879)
* 1933 - Ring Lardner, American writer (b. 1885)
* 1946 - Hans Eppinger, Austrian physician and war criminal (b. 1879)
* 1960 - Emily Post, American etiquette expert (b. 1873)
* 1961 - Frank Fay American actor (b. 1897)
* 1968 - Hans F. K. Günther, German eugenicist (b. 1891)
* 1970 - Erich Maria Remarque, German author (b. 1898)
* 1979 - Tapio Rautavaara, Finnish athlete and actor (b. 1915)
* 1980 - John Bonham, British drummer (Led Zeppelin) (b. 1948)
* 1980 - Lewis Milestone, Moldovan film director (b. 1895)
* 1980 - Marie Under, Estonian author and poet (b. 1883)
* 1980 - Earl Curry, American religious author (b. 1890)
* 1983 - King Léopold III of Belgium (b. 1901)
* 1984 - Walter Pidgeon, Canadian actor (b. 1897)
* 1986 - Nikolay Nikolayevich Semyonov, Russian chemist, Nobel Prize laureate (b. 1896)
* 1986 - Donald MacDonald, Canadian politician (b.1909)
* 1986 - Hans Vogt, Norwegian linguist (b. 1909)
* 1986 - Darshan Singh Canadian, Indian communist leader (b. 1917)
* 1987 - Mary Astor, American actress (b. 1906)
* 1987 - Emlyn Williams, Welsh actor (b. 1905)
* 1988 - Billy Carter, brother of Jimmy Carter (b. 1937)
* 1991 - Klaus Barbie, Nazi war criminal (b. 1913)
* 1991 - Viviane Romance, French actress (b. 1912)
* 1995 - Dave Bowen, Welsh football manager (b. 1928)
* 1995 - Bessie Delany, American physician and author (b. 1891)
* 1996 - Nicu Ceau?escu, Romanian politician (b. 1951)
* 1997 - Jean Françaix, French composer (b. 1912)
* 1997 - Hélène Baillargeon, Quebec singer and folklorist (b. 1916)
* 1999 - Marion Zimmer Bradley, American writer (b. 1930)
* 2000 - R. S. Thomas, Welsh poet (b. 1913)
* 2003 - Aquila al-Hashimi, Iraqi politician (b. 1953)
* 2003 - Herb Gardner, American playwright (b. 1934)
* 2003 - Franco Modigliani, Italian economist, Nobel Prize laureate (b. 1918)
* 2003 - George Plimpton, American writer and actor (b. 1927)
* 2003 - Edward Said, Palestinian-born literary critic (b. 1935)
* 2005 - Don Adams, American actor and comedian (b. 1923)
* 2005 - George Archer, American golfer (b. 1939)
* 2005 - Ghulam Mustafa Khan, Pakistani critic and linguist (b. 1912)
* 2005 - Urie Bronfenbrenner, American psychologist (b. 1917)
* 2005 - M. Scott Peck, American psychiatrist and writer (b. 1936)
* 2005 - Friedrich Peter, Austrian politician (b. 1921)
* 2006 - Jeff Cooper, American firearms expert (b. 1920)
* 2006 - John M. Ford, American author and poet (b. 1957)
* 2007 - Haidar Abdel-Shafi, Palestinian negotiator (b. 1919)
Holidays and observances
* Mozambique - Armed Forces Day.
* French Republican Calendar - Colchique (Crocus) Day, fourth day in the Month of Vendémiaire.
* R.C. Saints - Saint Finbarr.
* Abadir and Iraja and companions, in the Coptic Church
Candlemass (Catholic Holiday)
BUT the only one i go around remembering is that it's the same date as the last of the alleged Jack the Ripper murders! Pretty cool, right
and sometimes the penultimate day of february
a bit of virgo and libra!
what's annoying is that loads of people seem to think that's really cool...
...they don't realise it's one of the worst days you can be born on :(
I share my birthday with:
Hugh Hefner, Dennis Quaid, Seve Ballesteros, Jenna Jameson, Robbie Fowler and Kristen Stewart...she's hot.
plus loads of stuff here
The Queen's mother had her funeral on my b'day and Price Charles got married. Yay.
AND Gary Gilmore.
It's also the day the Marie Celeste was found, and they day the first Burger King was opened.
Bizarrely, not one of these events is yet to impact on my life...
and I think it's also the same day as the creation of Ben and Jerry's. Which is great 'cause they always give away free ice cream.
as Steve McManaman
this happened on my birthday, 2008:
Thomas Beatie, the world's first pregnant man, gives birth to a daughter.
also, i share my birthday with Abs from 5ive.
i don't think it gets any better than that.
was fought. Man, that was a catch 22.
died exactly one year after I was born.
the day i was born.
when i found this out years and years ago, i was convinced that it must have been some cosmic event (like announcing to the world that i was the antichrist or darth vader or something) meaning i was so important and powerful that 31 people had to die to give me space.
in 1978! and i was born in 1987!
fuck i'm destined to be a supervillain...
HG Wells, Gustav Holst, Leonard Cohen, Stephen King, Bill Murray, Charles Clarke, ricki lake, liam gallagher, nicole richie and faris rotter.
the date of the Titanic's collision with an iceberg.
I share it with elite terrorist Osama Bin Laden, elite NINJA Toshitsugu Takamatsu, elite producer Rick Rubin and elite actress, uh, Shannon Tweed.
provided by the World Heath Org. in 1990