For me, last night represents the lowest point for the England team that I can remember, for the following reasons:
- Although it was no worse than the McClaren era, with Fabio, at least there's some expectation...this is a guy who's supposedly gonna lead us to international glory, yet last night we played like a team not worthy of even qualifying for major tournaments.
- There are too many players who aren't good enough to play top-class international football: Heskey, Barry, James, Brown, Defoe. I'm not saying there's anyone better, it's more a indictment on the current crop of English players available.
- There are players who can't bring their club form to the international game: Lampard, Gerrard, Rooney
- There's no talent coming through: Why not start Bentley over Beckham? Where are our good young goalkeepers? Surely we have a better right back than Wes Brown (althugh i admit he played alright last night)
- The 'fans' hate the national team: Which i guess they may have reason to, but still, don't turn up if you're gonna boo.
- Capello appears to have no idea what to do, although with a team functioning around maybe 2 or 3 performing players, i think even Fergie would struggle.
How very depressing.