Your are viewing a read-only archive of the old DiS boards. Please hit the Community button above to engage with the DiS !
Long overdue wouldn't you think?
chain smoking steeplejacks who say 'you know' every 5 words whilst pushing up their cheap reading glasses is the way forward andHALO3
Have you heard him, Prole?
I had adream the other night that i got a taxi with him. Probably to Holloway Road
Have you heard the David McCallum album? He arranged the strings himself.
There's two Mcallum LPs aren't there?
The Jim Dale albums (Meet Jim Dale/ This is Me) are interesting. He's not much of a singer and most of it's covers, but some of the Tony Hatch arrangements are really nice. Sounds like a cross between Thackray and Newley with a bit of Kinks thrown in, but not as good as any of the above...
I didn't know he wrote 'Dick a dum dum'!
is it worth a trip to Oink?
The McCallum album I had had a great pop song where it ends with him deadpanning 'Get on my motorbike girls', which I thought was the best line ever. For a week at least
2 albums??? show off
"One mistake up here and it's half a day out with the undertaker".
He built a coal mine in his garden, for fucks sake. The man's a legend.
And taking his family on holiday only because he had a chimney to knock down in order to get a piece for his steam engine built. Beautiful beautiful
* "Did yer like that!?"
* " Mmmm. Aye. Oh aye. Y'know?"
* "A man who says he feels no fear is either a fool or a liar."
* "I realise that steam engines aren't everyone's cup of tea. But they're what made England great."
* "The modern world stinks."
* "We've become a nation of con men, living by selling double glazing to each other."
* "Steam engines don't answer back. You can belt them with a hammer and they say nowt."
* "I set out as a steeplejack in my youth to preserve chimneys. I've finished by knocking most of them down."
* "Height gives you a wonderful feeling of grandeur. You're the king of the castle up here."
* "I have a wash more now than I used to y'know... I have a shower everynight."
* "I'm just a bum who climbs chimneys."
* "Anybody who destroys anything made of stone should be prosecuted. It is not all beautiful, but it took a man all day to make one stone."
* "Steeplejacking's a bit of a spasmodic job, so you can play with your steam engine instead. It's a bit like being very rich."
* "If you make one mistake, it's half a day out with the undertaker."
* "It's a funny thing this celebrity. If you don't wave back you're a miserable bugger, if you do wave back you're a big-headed bugger. I don't know."
* "The thing is nowadays, you'll have 20 men working, yet 60 men telling them 'You can't do that, you ain't got a tin hat on'".
* "Teaching boys to bake cakes? That's no way to maintain an industrial empire."
* "By 'eck it were grand."
* "Them fancy London types don't know the pleasure of eating chips with fingers"
* "That's Bolton's biggest chimney that... and I climbed it for a ten bob wager. Never did get the ten bob though."
* Fred also previously received two honorary doctorates ..... They were both given by the relevant engineering faculties, but Fred always told people that they were for "back street mechanicing".
* "I've never fell off a big chimney. You'd only fall off one of them once."