Your are viewing a read-only archive of the old DiS boards. Please hit the Community button above to engage with the DiS !
but then I can't drive.
I can't do stuff with cars
I've actually done about 5 of them.
could do 10 or so
and those are the computer ones. And even that would consist of me just installing some kind of anti-virus thing/external hard disk and letting it do what it needs to while I have a cup of tea.
I can navigate using a map and compass.
but number 19 is a bit worrying.
Where on earth would I have had the need to clean a bolt-action rifle?
all computer related things. I suck at man stuff
I can do about 3 of those. I need to toughen up and stop being such a mummy's boy.
That doesn't involve computers or cars.
1. Patch a radiator hose - what does this mean?
2. Protect your computer - what does this mean?
3. Rescue a boater who as capsized - swimming, yeah? I might be able to handle that. For a short while.
4. Frame a wall - what does this mean?
5. Retouch digital photos - nope.
6. Back up a trailer - what does this mean?
7. Build a campfire - Reading this year would lead me to conclude that I really, really can't do this.
8. Fix a dead outlet - what does this mean?
9. Navigate with a map and compass - map, yeah. Compass? Nope.
10. Use a torque wrench - what does this mean?
11. Sharpen a knife - nope.
12. Perform CPR - nope.
13. Fillet a fish - nope.
14. Maneuver a car out of a skid - nope.
15. Get a car unstuck - nope.
16. Back up data - like, use another disc? This isn't as easy as it sounds then?
17. Paint a room - surely not that hard?
18. Mix concrete - yep.
19. Clean a bolt-action rifle - nope.
20. Change oil and filter - nope.
21. Hook up an HDTV - nope.
22. Bleed brakes - what does this mean?
23. Paddle a canoe - nope.
24. Fix a bike flat - nope.
25. Extend your wireless network - what does this mean?
I award myself 4/25. SUCH A MAN.
would be a bit dangerous surely- or am I mistaken in assuming that means getting a faulty plug socket to work again?
circuit circuit breaker using 6mm twin and earth (it has to be thicker because the paower used by a hob can be much greater than an oven (which can use a normal 13 amp setup. The hob kind of has to be fused higher.
I believe that building regulations state that only qualified tradespeople should do this sort of thing nowadays.
just becaus eyou aint done one of them yet doesnt mean that you couldnt, you probably all could, as could the ladies
like bamos, i dont know what all of those mean, and why are they for men? i rely on my son for all televisual/dvd/video/games set ups. whereas i can light s csampfie without matches or lighter, and navigate sans map and compass.
oh number 6 means reverse something articulated.....i can and have done that, with my tractor and muckspreader....but they dont mention that do they oh no, no muckspreading on that list...wimps. I bet they dont know how to use a tractors PTO......i bet janfurnace does though.
something like number 10 makes you think that now you've read this as a skill you reflect that perhaps you cant do it whereas before you would have just tried to use it, i cannot imagine how one would use a torque wrench inappropriately.
im also puzzled bamos, surely you can sharpen a knife, i mean what makes you think you cant?
Something about clearing airways and kissing dead people, I think.
I've tried many times, but I have such bad co-ordination, and an inability to work our which hand I should be using, that I just lose control and the knife ends up flying all over the place. When I worked as a chef, the restaurant had to buy an electronic knife sharpener just for me :(
that has a crack in it you drag the knife through.
by making a small square shape with your fingers and squinting?
retouch a digital photograph and sharpen a blade. That's it. But I guess I do't have to 'cos I'm not a MAN.
I think living with my boyfirend is turning me into a man, as he believes I should be able to do things for myself and so have learnt many things from this list.
Is there a lady list?
- crying without being ashamed
- buying tampax for your girlfriend
but refuse because why the fuck are they only for men to do?
What's 'frame a wall'?
quite. As a 5'1" slight female, I've done 17 of the things on the list and could probably have a go at doing a couple more of them... though I don't swim, so #3 might be a bit triky. ;-)
"frame a wall" - I would assume that's either building a partition wall or maybe just applying the timber strips (frame) that are needed before putting up plasterboard to an existing wall. Though it's a US site, so it could well mean something entirely different.