Your are viewing a read-only archive of the old DiS boards. Please hit the Community button above to engage with the DiS !
I don't know about you but I'm about to live forever and my clothes will smell lik e Lenor forever and a day.
It smelled BAD, but my clothes smelt good.
i havent had to change my clothes since our ban was introduced some 15 months ago.
cigarette smoke covered a multitude of sins
to entice people to buy. They could do the same with Pubs but instead of pumping the smell of Leather, Bread or Fir trees around the room replace it with the smell of cigarette smoke.
ie Stop the ban?
Plus I was being sarcastic in my previous post.
its best to avoid bars where
a) have bad hygiene
c) wear too much aftershave
weve had the ban in scotland since last march and ive only ever had one odour problem with one specific individual at all the bars/clubs/shows ive been to since then. i just moved to another part of the crowd. not a big deal
I'm so happy that the smoking ban has come in!
How is the smoking ban going to affect house prices?
and i didnt smell like smoke :)
but that may have something to do with me being outside all dya painting benches.
don't you have anything better to complain about than the government legislating to protect the health of bar workers?
Maybe you could start threads complaining about the fact that we have now lost the freedom to steal other people's property thankas to their nanny state meddling?
None of your threads make any other point than that people who support the smoking ban are party poopers or worse. Well I'm fed up with it. 3 of my 4 grandparents died of lung cancer and I'm very glad that now someone will have to choose to inhale smoke rather than having it thrust upon them.
Your spike against the anti-smoking lobby is as sickening as it is tiresomely conservative and blinkered.
but instead I say Balls.
Here are the 'greatest hits' of non-arguments against the smoking ban.
- "The pubs will now smell of sweat and farts" (the smell of sweat and farts doesn't make you cough and make yr eyes go red)
- "It's against smokers human rights"/"No one has to go out to a pub"/"No one has to work in a pub" (smoking is against non-smokers human rights/no one has to smoke/no one has to smoke)
- "Smoking is part of the 'character' of a pub/club" (so is having a picture of dogs playing pool. or not allowing black people)
- "People will smoke anyway" (yeah and people rape and murder anyway, might as well cancel the laws against them too, eh?)
- "Smoking pays for the health service" (i thought taxes paid for the health service? silly me)
- "If they want to ban smoking they should just make it illegal" (no, because that would actually infringe human rights. Why shouldn't you be able to do what you want with a plant that grows naturally? - including, of course, not have its ash blown down your throat against your will)
- "It will be hard for clubs to keep track of people on the door if they're constantly going out for a fag" (yeah like it's hard for aeroplanes to stop people going outside for people to have a fag - oh wait, aeroplanes just don't let you go outside for a fag)
- "It will be bad for business in pubs" (which is probably true, but if this is the case it'll be the fault of smokers not non-smokers. 'Oh no, my favourite pub's got to close down now because me and my friends won't go there anymore, what injustice!')
- "Smoking is cool" (this is also true, but it's still not a reason)
- "Certain things are harmful other than smoking" (no shit, so it's a simultaneous ban of everything or no ban at all then is it?)
there are no arguments against the smoking ban which hold water. They donm't even hold water in that deliberately half-arsed way that buckets hold gunge on kids TV shows.
I was talking to some old lass from Newport the other week, she works in a pub in Newport, the main thing she seemed to say was her cleaning took about 2 hours now, whereas it used to take 5 hours, because there were no cigs/ash all over the place, and because the regulars no longer went to the pub. She said there were about 30% fewer people.
Although i am pretty much behind the ban, and obviously it needed to be done for the employees of the pub, it is a shame that for a lot of old timer barflies, one of their loves has been removed. i would imagine they spend even more time on their own not leaving their home soaking up the pension deficit that I alone will have to pay for. damn them. damn them all to hell. bloody barfly smoking scum, where do you get off spending all the nations tax money on cigarettes? Surely you should have died a horrible painful slow tar fuelled death by now should you not?
they usually just have the fire escape open and you get a stamp when you go out for a fag. Now weve had the smoking ban for a while up here i never hear anyone complaining about having to go outside.
we've had it in wales for two months or so. everyone's just accepted it already. I think they've realised it's really not that big a deal.
it's quite social. i also look forward to seeing what's the other side of all those intriging fire exits
On Sunday you could eat your dinner off the floor of my local pub, it was THAT clean!
I went in, had a few drinks and left feeling all fresh and fragrant!
Everyone was jubilantly skipping around, loving life and deeply breathing in every precious breath!
Theo is right really, why are you getting so wound up?
your superhuman effort to 'poke fun' really is starting to 'wear a little thin' and you look like a 'countryside fucking alliance, UKIP wanker'
They've got some new parking arrangements I'm not happy with.
yesterday. I hadn't really thought about it properly until then.
and tell us anyway!
Can finally go to my local/other pubs/gigs and not catch cancer!
saying how many people have actually died from passive smoking?
and, more to the point, it now means it won't....which is great.
without smoking/being around smoke, but no one does anything about that. what about eye cancer, i'm still going to have to use my eyes when i come into Reading, no one seems to care about that though!
no one cares about cancer. speaking as a lentil-raping communist liberal I feel that the smoking ban will not only prevent cancer it will also cause all existing tumours to dry up and turn into pixie dust, which I can then use to seduce children once I legalise paedophilia.
but i will NEVER SMOKE cos it's EVIL.
7. another John
all could have been saved.
can we draw a correlation between cancer and John-ness? Should we deny John's life insurance? Ban them?
the St John's Ambulance - so, they shouldn't be first in the queue for insurance.
I think Jez thinking I'm something akin to the Countryside Alliance is funny. Bit silly of me to have a slightly different opinion. Democracy eh?
for the 456th time I don't smoke anymore, but am not going to be a reactionary dullard.