However there are a few caveats ...
- I won't be able to do this full time as I have my own band where I'm the singer/guitarist, which will be (hopefully) gigging regularly from March. I am, however currently unemployed and only plan to get a part time job in the near future so I do have a fair amount of time on my hands.
- Due to lack of job I probably won't be able to contribute to rehearsal costs / band overheads of existing bands. However, I won't expect to be paid anything if the finances from gig fees or the band's financial situation won't cover it.
- I'm looking specifically for something fun, relaxed, but genuinely good. Something where the primary aim perhaps isn't necessarily to ~make it~ but just to make some good music and play some awesome gigs in London and beyond. It would also have to fit in with my musical preferences, which vaguely speaking are sort of 90s American college rock bands, the Nirvana - REM - Dinosaur Jr - Pixies - Replacements spectrum, that sort of thing.
- I don't think I want to write any songs here, but would want scope to write my own parts and a voice to suggest how the songs should be formed.
- I don't own a drum kit and I can't drive. But for the right band I would definitely invest in a snare / kick pedal / new cymbals. I have some sticks...!
HOWEVER ... what I can offer is the following :
- I'm a decent, creative drummer. I have played on and off in bands since my early teens, I'm 27 now. I'm not technically amazing, but do have a hard hitting style which is sort of a mix of Dave Grohl and Danny Goffey. As an example of my level I can play anything Grohl did in Nirvana pretty much spot on, and as a result of fanboy studying of drummers like him (and alternative music in general) for the last 15 years, I can also come up with good stuff of my own if the songs are there.
- I'm good at organising songs if that's needed. In fact that's the main thing I'm good at. Though ideally there would be a good songwriter in the band already!
- I have been in a relatively successful (sort of, not really) band for the past five years and have built up a lot of contacts - promoters, writers, DJs, label people, people with floors to crash on in weird places etc.
- I can do backing vocals, or even some lead vocals if that was appropriate. I can also play guitar if there was a Trail Of Dead swapping vibe going on, but I primarily want to play drums.
So yeah - either an existing band that needs a drummer that sounds like me, or maybe some fun chaps or chapettes in their 20s with gigging experience that want to form a band with a superfun guy like me.
Email me here : fourorfivemagicians[at]hotmail[dot]co[dot]uk (hey, I gotta use it for something now!) or reply here or PM me or whatever. But please don't email me if your band isn't relevant to what I have written. I don't want to join a band that rehearses twice a week, and/or sounds like The Smiths etc. etc. Apologies in advance if I don't reply to any emails that seem irrelevant!