4 or 5 Magicians is an indie rock band based in Brighton / London. Our debut album is out in October through Smalltown America Records (Jetplane Landing, Calories, Fighting With Wire etc). We were one of NME's tips for 2009, both our singles to date have been Steve Lamacq single of the week, and we've received a load of other top press right across the board. Our main influences are late 80s / early 90s American alt-rock bands like Guided By Voices, Nirvana, REM, The Replacements, Pavement, Built To Spill, Archers Of Loaf, Sonic Youth, Dinosaur Jr, Sebadoh, Weezer etc. Have a listen - www.myspace.com/4or5magicians .
We are currently mainly playing as a four piece but would like to add a fifth member, a multi-instrumentalist, to enhance our live show, and also to be able to fill in on a different instrument should one of our current lineup not be able to play certain shows.
Our bass player is a professional actor, and he may not be able to play every show, especially with a hectic touring schedule coming up in October/November. The guy who has been playing as an auxiliary fifth member is now looking for a full time 9 to 5 job so will not be able to tour, and is effectively leaving the band.
So this is where you come in. When all four of us can play (which will be the vast majority of gigs), you will mainly be playing keyboard, with a bit of guitar. On the rare occasions our bass player has to miss a show, you will need to fill in on bass, and we'll play the show without keyboards.
What you need :
- A basic grasp of playing keyboard playing. It really isn't difficult so you don't have to be Rick Wakeman, but the ability to play chords and basic melodies is needed. Your own keyboard would be helpful (we used a synthesised farfisa on the record, and have been using a Micro Korg live), but if not, we have a crappy one you could use.
- The ability to play chord based rock guitar, and simple enough bass lines with simple structures, mainly in 4/4. You don't necessarily need your own bass, or guitar, we have one of each you could borrow.
- At least a modicum of personality, and the ability to perform. Ideally you'd be fun and funny, without being completely bonkers, and unpredictable and spontaneous without being unreliable.
- To be generally available for shows, mainly around London and the south-east, but also during October and November, the ability to tour around the country.
Added bonuses :
- If you could sing backing vocals then fantastic.
- If you had a driving license, and even better, your own large car / van then perfect.
I guess this would suit someone who has just graduated and is looking for something fun to do instead of trying to force themselves into an oversaturated job market. Either that or someone who can support themselves without having a full time job, or has a mega flexible job.
Get in touch here via the private messaging system, via myspace www.myspace.com/4or5magicians , or email fourorfivemagicians[at]hotmail[dot]co[dot]uk