I have people in mind for this but may as well let people here know just in case there is the next Joey Santiago or Kim Deal out there...
4 or 5 Magicians have recently lost two members. They didn't die or anything, they have just moved on to new chapters in their life, neither of which include being in one of the best bands in Britain. So yeah, openings at 2nd guitar (a mixture of lead and rhythm) and bass.
We have been compared by writers/fans/other bands to Pavement, The Pixies, Sebadoh, Dinosaur Jr, Built To Spill, REM, Weezer, Nirvana, Guided By Voices ... Have a listen to us here : www.myspace.com/4or5magicians , and read our recent drownedinsound DiScover feature here : http://discover.drownedinsound.com/articles/2292888
A lot of info there, but a few facts...
- everyone with a pair of ears loves us, not least Radio 1's Huw Stephens who we recorded a session for in June and has called us "very very exciting" as well as the entire Roget's Thesaurus entry for "great"; The Fly who have called us "brilliant" and "the best things of recent earth history"; Rocksound who labelled us "the sort of lo-fi attack that Kurt Cobain would have creamed over"; <insert stack of other assorted praise>
- We have had interest from every label ever. Well, about 40 to 50 of them.
- We recorded our demo with Justin Lockey from Your Codename Is Milo for Vertigo Records, and have a single due for release through Alcopop/Big Scary Monsters on September 24th. Also, I've just written two amazing new songs, better than anything else yet, and I haven't even started trying yet.
Anyway. If you wanted to join you must fill the following criteria :
- Live in, or able to get to Brighton for regular rehearsal from the beginning of October.
- Be able to gig at virtually any time in Brighton/London/South-East and do a 2 week UK tour in the second half of October. (Ideally you would have no commitment apart from the band, though in the immediate short term you wouldn't be making any money - but a record contract is surely just around the corner!).
- Be a good person. i.e. Reasonable. Personable. Reliable. Easy to work with. Straight down the line, without being boring.
- Be charismatic and creative, without being a show off.
- Be able to play stuff confidently, to the standard of the rest of us (not that difficult, but you need to be competent - if you can play stuff on our myspace page, that's fine) and preferably with a bit of live experience behind you.
- Be able to work in a situation where I would work with you on your parts, and sometimes tell you what to play.
- Preferably be a similar age to us (20-25) though a mature 18 year old, or a youthful 30 year old would be fine.
I also currently have a spare room going in my house in Brighton (Mike the drummer also lives here), so if anyone was up for a real adventure, then travel from wherever you live and come and live with us too! Room available from Sep 1st, £70 a week plus bills.
So yeah, get in contact if you think you are the man or woman for the job - PM me here, message through the myspace or email fourorfivemagicians[at]hotmail[dot]co[dot]uk . Or if you are in London on Saturday afternoon, come and see me play a solo show at Notting Hill Arts Club at 4:00pm.