Right kids - 4 or 5 Magicians need a new live drummer because the one they have at the moment is buggering off to Geneva for a year soon.
Here is a bit of info about 4 or 5 Magicians :
We are ... Dan Ormsby (vocals/guitar/drums), Matt Hayward (guitar), Jon Wood (bass), from Brighton. We take strong influence from (amongst many others) Pavement, Sebadoh, Guided By Voices, Nirvana, The Pixies, Sonic Youth ...
We've been together since October 2005 but started playing properly in June 2006. Since then we have played 25ish gigs, mainly in London, with people like Seafood, Apartment, Optimist Club, Tiger Force, Distophia, Cats and Cats and Cats, My Device, Actress Hands, Magnetophone, blah blah blah...
We recorded a demo on an 8-track in June and since then we've had interest from over twenty record labels, including Rough Trade, XL, Warner Bros, Virgin, Fierce Panda, Atlantic, Parlophone, blah blah blah...
We have just recorded another demo with Justin from Your Codename Is Milo all paid for by the lovely people at Vertigo records (Razorlight, The Rapture, The Killers, blah blah blah)...
We're finishing off our degrees right now, but we will be signing a management deal in June, we've again had interest from a lot of companies, and will be looking at doing a big UK tour and a debut EP in late summer.
Go here to listen : www.myspace.com/4or5magicians . Right now that is our old demo, but our new one will be up as soon as it is mastered. Anyone interested should go and read the page.
Here is a bit of info about the kind of person we want :
They need to ...
1) Play in a similar style to my drum playing (I drum on the recordings so give them a listen - we are basically after a charismatic hard hitter, not a robotic technical genius).
2) Be able to work in a situation where I remain the main writer of the songs and music, including the drum parts, and be ok with me perhaps playing on recordings too (this is of course irrelevant if we truly find the right person, I will be more than happy to concentrate on guitar / vocals).
3) Be a decent chap, with a good sense of humour, easy going, straight down the line, confident, charismatic etc.
4) Have a good knowledge of what we are doing and what we are about. They don't HAVE to know the entire back catalogues of Guided By Voices / Pavement / Sebadoh / Nirvana / Fugazi etc. but they will have to be willing to get to know them!
5) Have their head screwed on. I'm not after a drum geek show-off, if they are a technically very good drummer, that's great, but they will need to realise that we are essentially lo-fi alt-rock, and will have to adapt to our style, which would more than likely involve "playing below yourself".
6) Live in Brighton, or be able to get there for rehearsal at random times, about two/three times a week.
7) Be at least 18, and if 18/19 have a reasonable degree of life experience and maturity. Also, Charlie Watts need not apply, someone our own age would be good (we're all 22), but age isn't really an issue unless you are just about to croak it.
8) Realise we aren't actually making any money right now, and are mainly playing small gigs, but also realise that in the future we may well be minted due to writing some of the best songs ever.
Anyone who thinks they might be interested email me at dan[at]tohellwith.co.uk and we'll get talking and organise an audition. But please don't waste mine or your own time, you really need to love our style of music or be a real whizz at adapting to the style, and playing without an ego, or it simply isn't going to work. But get emailing.