Your are viewing a read-only archive of the old DiS boards. Please hit the Community button above to engage with the DiS !
No need to get this really but what would you put on a Mogwai best of?
Stop Coming to My House and Glasgow Mega-Snake
Shame they don't play it any more - seen them 10 times but never seen it live :-(
Government Sessions is a good enough compilation for me.
I've got all the LPs and most of the EPs so not sure whether to get this to just be a complete-ist, because I'd never listen to it.
Tuner should be on it, and Ratts of the Capital. There are some duff tracks on there too (Batcat, The Sun Smells To Loud, Remurdered), which are better in a live environment. A new 'Special Moves'/Government Sessions style release would have been better.
I have most of their stuff on vinyl, including some of their pricey box set, so buying the 6-lp would just be collecting for the sake of it. I'll probably wait for the pre-order and decide when I see the price.
is SUCH a good title
Apparently they're doing a soundtrack for an archive footage film on the Hiroshima bombing coming to the BBC soon.
That's going to be.... I dunno, obviously it'll be incredible and horrible in equal measures I guess?
getting outraged because the BBC are too sympathetic to the Japanese in it or something
then massive crushing bursts of noise I suppose.
I telt everyone you needed a massive disc-spanning mother fucker. I called it "Scotland's Shame" but Central Belters is an amazing name. Here are my discs.
"Mogwai; Scotland's Shame - the Best Of"
1. Superheroes of BMX (from EP +6)
2. Cody (from Come On Die Young)
3. Tracy (from Mogwai Young Team)
4. Mogwai Fear Satan (from Mogwai Young Team)
5. Scotland's Shame (from The Hawk is Howling)
6. Auto Rock (from Mr Beasts)
7. Kids Will Be Skeletons (from Happy Songs fro Happy People)
8. Moses, I Amn't? (from Happy Songs for Happy People)
9. My Father, My King (from My Father, My King)
1. Rano Pano (from Hardcore Will Never Die But You Will)
2. Two Rights Make One Wrong (from Rock Action)
3. Christmas Steps (from Come On Die Young)
4. Batcat (from The Hawk if Howling)
5. Remurdered (from Rave Tapes)
6. Terrific Speech 2 (from Zidane: A 21st Century Portrait)
7. Chocky (from Come on Die Young)
8. Helicon 1 (from Ten Rapid)
9. Portual (from Les Revenants OST)
10. I'm Jim Morrison, I'm Dead (from The Hawk is Howling)
11. R U Still In 2 It? (feat. Aidan Moffat) (from Mogwai Young Team)
1. Like Herod (from Mogwai Young Team)
2. Ratts of the Capital (from Happy Songs for Happy People)
3. Rage:Man (EP+6)
4. Glasgow Mega-Snake (from Mr. Beast)
5. Ex-cowboy (from Come On Die Young)
6. Helicon 2 (from Ten Rapid)
7. Now You're Taken (from EP+6)
8. How To Be A Warewolf (from Hardcore Will Never Die But You Will)
9. Hunted by a Freak (from Happy Songs for Happy People)
10. I Love You, I am Going to Blow Up Your School (from The Hawk is Howling)
11. Xmas Steps [Bonus Track] (from EP+6)
ps I added "...Warewolf" after Severd pointed out I'd missed it the first time round.
We're No Here?
[minor carping aside, I'll be checking this out tonight, cheers]
but Like Herod would probably be the second song on my list (after Mogwai Fear Satan)
I don't think Like Herod is that good, personally... it's mostly just LOUD
But those four minutes are some of my favourite in recorded music history.
which is possibly the most concise summary of everything Mogwai do well and BLOODY LOUD AT THE END.
are definitely the worst two songs they've written.
Apart from that... solid, isn't it?
saw them at corn exchange edinburgh a few years back and everyone left singin it
mexican grand prix grew on me, thatcher square party is bad though.
Shit on record though
that the production on the last few albums hasn't really been up to scratch.
I'd like to see them change it up and work with someone different.
the production hasn't been amazing since like Rock Action, those songs literally come alive when they perform them
Don't really know what that means for the release of the OST
Mogwai are actually in my top 5 bands... ever
Temptation is just to list Come on Die Young in its entirity as 'the best of' Mogwai. That whole record is just perfectly judged.
I remain ambivalent about Auto Rock, and most of Mr Beast.
Travel is Dangerous/Team Handed/Friend of the Night <3
is a devastating closing track. But then Mogwai always seem to be good at those.
here's my dream setlist/mixtape:
1. Yes! I am a long way from Home (Young Team)
2. CODY (CODY)
3. Superheroes of BMX (EP+6)
4. Christmassteps (CODY)
5. Ithica 27/9 (Ten Rapid)
6. Now You're Taken (EP+6)
7. Travel is Dangerous (Mr. Beast)
8. Friend of the Night (Mr. Beast)
9. Hunted by a Freak (Happy Songs)
10. How to be a Werewolf (Hardcore will Never Die)
11. Tuner (Ten Rapid)
12. Helicon 1 (Ten Rapid)
13. Fear Satan (Young Team)
14. Take me Somewhere Nice/Secret Pint (Rock Action)
15. My Father, My King
1. Yes! I am a long way from Home
2. Friend of the Night
4. I'm Jim Morrison, I'm Dead
5. Ithica 27/9
6. Hunted By A Freak
8. Helicon 1
9. R U Still in 2 it
10. You're Lionel Richie
12. Stop Coming to My House
13. My Father, My King
15. Mogwai Fear Satan
16. Glasgow Megasnake
that it sounds a bit overproduced in parts and they've gone overboard with the compression. I mean, they've still got the quiet/loud dynamic, but the overall sound is too just squashed and lacking in tone, light and shade etc. Reminds me of that first Hope of the States record in that way - especially on Auto Rock.
Think it's more that that I'm struggling with rather than the actual songwriting. Agree We're No Here is a good closer, and I like I Chose Horses too.
generally seeing them live gives you a new appreciation of them!