Pick a genre you think you know well (ha!), put your top 5 records down (preferably justified). Be slated for it. If this thread gets any replies at all. Add links if you can be arsed.
My go, shoegaze (of course):
1. My Bloody Valentine - Loveless: defines the genre, much imitated but rarely if ever matched, still sounds new today
2. Swirlies - They Spent Their Wild Youthful Days In The Glittering World Of The Salons: criminally overlooked US take on a largely UK phenomenon, a perfect blend of shoegaze textures, electronic flourishes and the lighter side of SY
3. Engineers - Engineers: if ever shoegaze were to be married to faultless song-writing, this is the album to do it, richly textured but catchy from start to end without any dips in quality
4. Panda Riot - Northern Automatic Music: spiky girl band take on shoegaze, effortlessly light in tone and full of delicious hooks
5. School Of Seven Bells - Alpinism: dance oriented shoegaze with terrific harmonies
Only left off Mezcal Head by Swervedriver because it's debatable whether it's shoegaze-y enough to count. Oh, and sorry this is another list thread, but I've tried to make it more interesting with some effort...