Hey scroats! Now in its third glorious year, its the DiSmas song challenge! Skip to the HOW TO ENTER bit below if you don’t want to read the explanation:
“What’s this shit?”
For all those new to this concept, it’s where random Dissers (that’s YOU) show off their song writing wares by submitting an original Christmas song they've written and recorded by their own fair hands (see rules below for full details about submissions). Then it gets put on soundcloud AND a shiny bandcamp album forever, or until a worldwide apocalypse wipes out the internet.
“Why should I bother?”
Because literally tens of people will listen to the first 45 seconds of your song. Some will listen to the whole thing bro!
“OK but have you got examples of the last couple of years?”
Does the pope shit in the woods? I thought you’d never ask. Here’s the details:
2013 DiS thread: http://drownedinsound.com/community/boards/music/4439596
2013 soundcloud playlist: https://soundcloud.com/dissers2013/sets/dismas-2013-compilation
2013 bandcamp link: https://dismas.bandcamp.com/
2012 DiS thread: http://drownedinsound.com/community/boards/music/4419971
2012 soundcloud playlist: https://soundcloud.com/dismas2012/sets/dismas-2012-compilation
“I’m sold. I have a kazoo, a tape recorder and a four pack of Kestrel Super. How do I enter?”
Brilliant! See below:
----HOW TO ENTER----
If you’d like to enter a Christmas song (of *any* quality) follow these steps:
1) Upload your banging track of festive cheer to the new soundclound group here:
2) And that’s it! Unless… You want to also feature on the bandcamp album. That’s kinda more of an actual "record" so it’d be nice if you did. Fancy it? Then I need your song *in wav format*. You can do this three easy ways:
a) Email the wav file to: email@example.com - (spelt weird so get it right!)
b)Send it via Google docs/drive
c)Let your soundcloud track be downloadable and I’ll download it for you (.wav only remember)
Now read the rules else you’ll be wasting your time:
1) The song can be any genre at all, but has to be in some way Christmas themed. And that doesn't mean just sticking some sleigh bells on a non-Christmas track you already have. Come on, make some festive effort.
2) The song has to be 100% original and 100% yours (or your band’s).
3) You can’t submit the same track you did last year, obvs.
4) You can’t submit more than one track. Only the first submission will be accepted. Soz.
5) Please submit your entries by SUNDAY 21nd DECEMBER 2014 at the verrrry latest!
ALL standards welcome. It’s meant to be a bit of festive fun, like going to the pub on Christmas eve, rather than the rubbish bits, like seeing your distant uncle and aunt on Boxing day.
Last year was truly a great haul, so fingers crossed for this year. Happy Christmas yo!
tl;dr? Send me a Christmas song.