20 years on...
1) Which sounds less dated?
2) Which genre had more excellent albums?
3) And of the acts still ploughing their furrow and eking out a career, which are generally better?
1. The production on a lot of records from both genres sounds quite dated, but no Britpop album can really top the 'sound' of Nevermind or Doolittle.
2. Need to think about this, but I think overall there are more Britpop albums that I love and still listen to (possibly because I was a little too young for grunge, but was 12 and just getting into popular alternative music as Definitely Maybe came out...)
3. Never really been into Soundgarden or Pearl Jam, and Blur have been consistently good and the Pulp and Suede reformation shows were rather wonderful. Britpop wins this one.
Britpop wins 2-1.