Hi, I've just signed up to the forum and thought I'd share with everyone a music project I've just started.
As the title suggests it's a 1000 song playlist containing 20 songs per year over the last 50 years. I'm doing it as a Xmas present for someone but also a large part for myself, firstly to have what should be a kick-ass playlist to play on shuffle, but mainly to broaden my music horizons. Whilst I love music, I am well aware that my knowledge is limited and I haven't scratched the surface to a lot of good material that is out there in terms of time period and genre.
So I'm not putting this out there for it to get shot down in flames (hopefully), I fully encourage suggestions of songs I may want to include and opinions, discussion more than welcome.
There are many different factors in why a song has been included. I have tried to include a variety of genres where possible, providing I enjoy the song. Things like historical significance, pop-culture references, personal nostalgia may also factor. I have researched the best I can giving the time-scale that I have, downloading best of sixties torrents etc, looking up billboard charts per year so pretty much all the songs will be rather mainstream with little or no album tracks included. I hope that when it is finished it will be a decent representation of the last 50 years of music, to my taste.
Anyway, here is the first one, 1963.
1. Louie Louie - The Kingsmen
2. I Want To Hold Her Hand - The Beatles
3. I Saw Her Standing There - The Beatles
4. Surfin USA - The Beach Boys
5. Surfin Bird - The Trashmen
6. Ring Of Fire - Johnny Cash
7. I Only Want To Be With You - Dusty Springfield
8. Twist and Shout - The Beatles
9. Walk Like a Man - Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons
10. It's All Right - The Impressions
11. Love Me Do - The Beatles
12. She Loves You - The Beatles
13. From Me To You - The Beatles
14. Glad All Over - The Dave Clark Five
15. Be My Baby - The Ronettes
16. In Dreams - Roy Orbison
17. Please Please Me - The Beatles
18. In My Room - The Beach Boys
19. Since I Fell For You - Lenny Welsh
20. Blowin' In The Wind - Bob Dylan
Note - all selections are based on the year the album was released (as per Wikipedia), not when the single was released in the charts.
This year I found one of the hardest due to the fact it is just before the big influx of rock of the mid-late 60's which is more up my street. I am very conscious that it is very Beatles heavy but I was struggling to find anything I considered better to include for that year. On the flip side 'discovering' The Beatles and Bob Dylan was a big positive already at this early stage as I never truely paid much attention to their work.
- The Meaning of Ritual: A Songwriting Masterclass with Conor from Villagers
- Bob Dylan - Tempest
- Benicassim 2012: the DiS review
- DiS Festival News Round-Up: Part One
- Benicassim 2012: the (very early) DiS preview
- 10 Years of singer-songwriters: The Changing of the Guards
- 10 Years of Singer-Songwriters: Some Thoughts
- Watch: Johnny Flynn discusses Dylan and Hop Farm