Gonna limit myself to three:
Chromatics - Kill for Love
Rewards more and more with every listen. It's the perfect headphones album.
FOE - Bad Dream Hotline
As British debut albums go, this brash blast of brat-rock is everything a slightly eccentric HELLO should be.
YPPAH - Eighty One
I think Jordan Dowling bigged this up to me. Sort of made me think of a Radio Dept going a little post-dubstep as it has this slightly tweet-shoegaze slant to its epic dance-throbbing. Sort of M83 gone Scandi-pop at times too (which I realise is sort of saying the same thing). Played a few tracks when I've been DJing and people instantly come up to ask what it is, which is always a good sign.
I'd also say: Blondes, School of Seven Bells, Chairlift, CFCF, Halls (out in October), Eight and a Half, Exitmusic, Sharon Van Etten, Blood Red Shoes, Bear in Heaven, Correatown (which only heard for the first time this week after Lauren Laverne bigged it up), Liars, Yeasayer (was a strangely muted reaction to this, but it takes a few listens), Efterklang, Metric, Polica, Cat Power, Twin Shadow, Keaton Henson, David's Lyre, Shearwater, Errors...
Plenty more recommendations from DiS here: http://drownedinsound.com/lists/recommended-records and a lot of replies coming in to this question on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=10151112738413145&id=19343183144
- Sharon Van Etten, SVIIB, Yeasayer, Frightened Rabbit + FOE's LPs of 2012
- Drowned in Sound's Favourite Albums of 2012: 25-6
- 101 Minutes of Bliss #2: A DiS YouTube Playlist
- Half-Year, Half Dozen: Six Recommended Debut Albums
- On The DiS Stereo: June 2012
- In Photos: Camden Crawl 2012 , London
- The Great Escape 2012 - DiS' Festival Highlights
- DiS' 5 Must-See Acts at The Great Escape 2012 + Spotify playlist