So, BBC 6Music are doing some blog awards this Friday, and I suggested that the DiS community would be able to help people choose who to see from all the sprawling festival line-ups. I've picked three nominees and I'd like you lot to vote for the two other must-see acts by nominating them below and clicking ^ this on the ones you recommend.
My three nominees are:
WHEN SAINTS GO MACHINE
One of the most exciting live acts I saw last year. Completely and utterly immersive as well as dance-able. They do the sorts of things both The Knife and M83 do but TV on the Radio sort of failed to muster with their last record. A definite must see!
Lots of people can sing. Many people can jump around. But to do both, so exceptionally, darting from Buckley to Mike Patton in the blink of a beat is rather special. For some reason the more sprawling key-heavy bits of their songs remind me of the Charlatans (who are always one of my favourite bands to see at festivals). They sound like lost summers are writhing through them and as the sun sets and people dip into tents to check out new acts, these lads from Sheffield are def' gonna win some new fans.
Projections of Kim Jong-Il and the Royal Wedding (minus Kate Middleton) made up the backdrop of their set the last time I saw them. These Manc's take the sprawling psyche-side of a lot of drone-inspired dance that's doing the rounds at the moment and put this spin it on it that crescendos in a place of utter euphoria. One of the best new bands I saw last year and sure to be one filling out tents and causing queues on pavements if my predictions are correct...
Who do you suggest people should see?
- Relevant artist taggings:
- when saints go machine »[x]
- Stay+ »[x]
- Hey Sholay »[x]
- Blur »[x]
- Factory Floor »[x]
- The Pointless Fanatics »[x]
- This Week's Singles: 18/06/12 When Saints Go Machine, Yeti Lane, Kindness, Crewdson
- The Great Escape 2012 - DiS' Festival Highlights
- DiS' 5 Must-See Acts at The Great Escape 2012 + Spotify playlist
- DiS Festival News Round-Up: Part One
- Gemma Hayes, Hey Sholay, Temper Trap, Halls, Blanck Mass + loads more join The Great Escape 2012
- Listen: When Saints Go Machine cover The Verve's 'Bittersweet Symphony' (DiS Premiere)
- Maximo Park, Mystery Jets, Rolo Tomassi, Errors join The Great Escape bill
- Brighton's brilliant Great Escape Festival announces first batch of names for 2012