It's all been done before, but since I caused such a stir with the Jessie J steals from Cast thing, I couldn't resist.. sorry. Here's Major Criiimes' top 5 pop picks for the week!
I'm not going to say obvious things like Nirvana copying Killing Joke as it would be too easy. But, how come nobody has ever mentioned that:
1. The opening verse to La Tristesse Durera by the Manics sounds embarrassingly like The Lion Sleeps Tonight?
2. No-One Knows (you know, the song back from when Queen of the Stone Age were good) has a central riff that sounds both EXACTLY like Tragedy by Hanoi Rocks and 90s CBBC detective program with the killer French chef, Marlene Marlowe Investigates?
3. The Offspring copied Pretend We're Dead for the song She's Got Issues, and it seemed to be some kind of ironic joke because they appeared to be singing unashamedly sexist lyrics despite sounding like a riot grrl (no more than two rs, any more is self indulgent) band in L7? BUT YOU WOULDN'T THINK THAT BECAUSE YOUR INDIE BIG BANGED DREAMBOAT FANCYPANTS GIRL ZOEEY DISCHANEL IS IN THE VIDEO AND YOU DISERS HAVE TO STICK UP FOR HER OUT OF LOYALTEE TO THE ALTERNATIVE SCENE!!!! HA
4. Autumnsong by the Manics sounds like that Godawful Katrina and the Waves record, Love Shine A Light, that won Eurovision in 1997? I bet you secretly think it's amazing because you all have 'ironic' Eurovision parties! Bladdy styawdents, bring back National Service.
5. Buried Alive by Love (HIM - remember them! smelly goths haha, weren't they a bit forrin) nicks the riff from Popscene by Blur. THE UNGRATEFUL BARSTARDS