I've been compiling 90's and 00's 'shoegaze' stuff into two decade specific mixes on and off for the last few weeks. In putting this stuff together I couldn't help but feel that some of the later 'nugaze' (sorry) is pretty good and possibly surpasses much of the original material (MBV excepted). I've posted my mixes on mixcloud below:
My question to my fellow DiSers is 'can bands that revisit a genre improve on it?'
Oh, and apologies if any of my choices (and omissions) offend anyone. Looking forward to the usual abuse, scathing comment and possibly complete disinterest in my first topic on DiS...
- Relevant artist taggings:
- Ride »[x]
- Curve »[x]
- Slowdive »[x]
- Chapterhouse »[x]
- Serena Maneesh »[x]
- My Bloody Valentine »[x]
- Ulrich Schnauss »[x]
- Amusement Parks On Fire »[x]
- My Vitriol »[x]
- "Sometimes it feels like I'm still having to justify my existence": DiS meets Robin Guthrie
- Andy Bell of Ride & Oasis: "It would be a shame if we never got to play those songs one more tim
- Ride - Going Blank Again - 20th Anniversary Edition
- Shoegaze Week: Mixtape #36 - The Ultimate Shoegaze Mixtape...?
- Shoegaze Week: The Third Wave Collective's Andy Oliver reassesses the Shoegaze phenomenon
- Shoegaze Week: Drowned in Shoegaze - 50 Essential Albums
- Shoegaze Week: DiS meets former Ride legend Mark Gardener
- Shoegaze Week: "There’s no such thing as Nu-Gaze" by Sonic Cathedral