"Part of what makes the sea so bewitching is that it is always unknowable, an impossible large being, with only the ripples of its cloak visible. It's the same thing with 'Everything Goes My Way'. On the surface, everything seems to be so joyful. What could be happier than a a couple declaring how happy they are that they are back together? (“It feels so good to have you back my love / I'm in love again) Repeated listens, however, darken the mood. Despite the apparent rekindling of the romance, things aren't perfect for this reunited couple. With the constant declarations of being back in love, it's almost as if the singer might be convincing herself of something she doesn't quite believe any more. Even the backing vocals sound like sobbing. It is within the conflict between those espousals and the between-the-lines lack of faith that the enticing nature of the song lies. That the music that backs this intriguing little vignette could only be English, a classic style of breezy, summery pop, only adds to the appeal."
Marks out of ten?
- In Photos: Photographer's Favourite Images - 20 from 2012
- In Photos: Green Man Festival 2012 @ Glanusk Park, Wales
- DiS at Latitude 2012: Live from the Cabin, inc. Yeasayer, dEUS, Sharon Van Etten
- Olugbenga's Personal History of the Remix + Stream: 'Mistakes' Mk3
- Latitude 2012: The Editor's Reviewgasm
- In Photos: Latitude Festival 2012 - Day 1 @ Henham Park, Suffolk
- In Photos: Rockness Festival 2012 @ Loch Ness, Scotland
- In Photos: Field Day 2012 @ Victoria Park, London