I shouldn't have nicked this before the official release date but anyway, it looks like I'll be buying it.
Given it about five or so spins yesterday and I'm feeling it now. It's not as immediate as I was expecting it to be but it grows on you pretty fast as each song starts to assert it's identity. There's a real attempt here to create a euphoric and uplifting set of summer tunes for beaches, Bermuda shorts and cocktails. It reminds me a bit of when I first heard 'In Ghost Colours' in the way that it made me excited for the summer and all it promised. Just listen to the opening of 'Pull Me Back To Earth' and tell me you don't instantly think of sand between your toes?
Most people will know 'Live Those Days Tonight' which continues to impress and this is followed by 'Blue Cassette' which will very likely party revelers. These tracks and others like 'True Love' bring to mind late 80s/ early 90s dance tunes and New Order circa 'Technique'.
Still other tracks intrigue - take'Pala' itself which is restrained and almost feels a bit like a Hip-Hop track and 'Show Me Lights' which could almost be a 90's boy band creation. That sounds potentially awful but it doesn't prove to be.
So in conclusion, I think it's very good. I hope it gets a decent score here in a week's time.
(By the way, 'Fenech-Soler' is a strong dance album and much for the same reasons as 'Pala'. Has it been reviewed by DiS yet?)
- In Photos: V Festival 2012 @ Weston Park, Stafford
- In Photos: Beach Break Live 2012 @ Pembrey Country Park, Wales
- In Photos: Lovebox Festival 2012 @ Victoria Park, London
- In Photos: Rockness Festival 2012 @ Loch Ness, Scotland
- Moving Pictures - Videos of the Year: 4th Quarter 2011
- DiS in 2011: Stats, Most Read, Top Threads and Editor's Picks
- In Photos: Reeperbahn Festival 2011, Hamburg, Germany
- Reeperbahn Festival 2011 - The DiS Review + Photos