So it is very nearly the end of March. The year is broken down into neat and tidy quarters. And whilst reducing music down to 'lists' is a little predictable for peoples like us (and hatred of lists, is probably more prevalent amongst those who love to read and create them) these threads are often very good at helping to find out what is utterly awesome, that others might not have caught onto or given a chance.
Feel free to format yours however you like with as much or as little explanation as you like. Here's mine:
Ambient sounds with their hovering textures have been pretty much the dominant sound pouring from my speakers/headphones. Something about the gentle clustering of pixelated sounds that helps me think, that and the fact the Tim Hecker and How to Dress Well albums have been so utterly gorgeous. Having said that, away from my desk my headphones haven't really stopped playing Kurt Vile on trains, Bright Eyes on fist-clenched walks and Cut Copy when I attempt to run. Then again, pulsating beats have never been too far away...
3 Songs I've been obsessed with:
1. Austra - Beat And the Pulse - pretty much what I'd imagine a Matthew Dear and Ladytron collab would sound like. http://soundcloud.com/austra_midi/beat-and-the-pulse
2. Gang Gang Dance - Glass Jar - be stunned if 'Eye Contact' isn't in DiS' top 5 albums of the year http://www.ganggangdance.com/
3. The Veils - Bloom - can I have Finn Andrews re-sing every song I like? Such a voice http://soundcloud.com/drownedinsound/bloom-the-veils
- http://soundcloud.com/christianaids - ebbs in that land between Blondes and The Field
- http://edinburghschoolforthedeaf.bandcamp.com - their Mary Chain-fi popped up in a thread about DiSser bands.
- http://soundcloud.com/foe-mania - really looking forward to seeing her again tomorrow. Brash 'tude of Uffie with a healthy Kills/Polly Harvey lust.
- http://soundcloud.com/halls - ambient-ish, has remixed Gold Panda, join the dots
Things I'm most looking forward to in next few months: M83's new lp, seeing Gang Gang Dance play this record live, the return of Jeniferever, debut album by memoryhouse and the DiS stages at Great Escape and Liverpool SoundCity. And maybe new records by The Stills and Justice, if they ever materialise...
...and all the stuff I'm going to remember seconds after posting this.