I have a meeting with a Leeds nightclub next week about putting a night on and was wondering if anyone has any thoughts or advice to give...
Ideally the kinds of genre's we would like to play would include (but not be limited by) Breakbeat, Nu funk, Trip Hop, lo-fi ,disco and other experimental beats. I am highly influenced by Ninja Tunes, Greg Wilson,DFA, Jon Kennedy and the 'Cosmic Slop' underground parties which take place in Leeds and would ideally like our night to carry a similar ethos but to a broader audience.
To give a better example we are thinking such songs like -
* Onra - The Anthem - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdtk1doDBD8
* Suuns - Arena - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Rb9qrhC1lg
* Arthur Rusell - Go Bang - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32Vr2RRcsWo
* LaBelle - Space Children - http://www.we7.com/#/song/LaBelle/Space-Children
* Split Decision Band - Watchin Out - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bc9cMPt8E90
Now the nights the club already have on are standard funk,soul,motown nights and while we want to attract a new audience to the venue we dont want to alienate the regulars who come for this type of music aswell. Do you think a night like this would work? Is this style of music to chilled to get people dancing all night? Does anyone have any other musical suggestions?
I know im being quite broad with the questions but just looking for some feedback and advice really....