Your are viewing a read-only archive of the old DiS boards. Please hit the Community button above to engage with the DiS !
Any tips? I have very little idea of what I am doing. Just that I want to do it.
1) Work to build as many contacts as possible. Build links with labels, promoters and magazines - partly because they're useful and partly 'cos you'll need moral support.
2) Build a good database of fanzines/websites etc. for mailouts. By all means try the big magazines too but bear in mind that you're less likely to get features/reviews in there if you're just starting out.
3) Only release things you love. It's hard work and often unrewarding.
4) Accept you are likely to lose money on each release - only speculate with money you can afford to lose.
5) Keep costs low and work hard and innovatively.
i think the middle way between those two is the best bet.
not sure how facetious buynikeshoes was being...
It's brilliant advice. It just means not spending much. Too many labels get sucked into the "everyone spends money on PR so let's spend money on PR" thing but, given even bigger indie labels spend £35, 000 on releasing a single, it's not gonna make much of an impact. I know a couple of labels who spend five grand on each album but the money's such a drop in the ocean in relative terms, they'd have been better off just spending a couple of hundred quid.