'St. Peter's Day' by Sudden Weather Change
"Oh. My. Gawd. I HATE, NICOLAS CAGE!" may be the most unlikely thing to hear shouted from a stage in Reykjavik but then, you have to remember, few things are 'likely' or normal on an island filled with so much imagination and frustration. Yet, a couple of years ago during Iceland Airwaves I wandered into the back room of a coffee shop to find people crammed in listening to this angular band thrashing around, reawakening my late 90s post-hardcore heart and unravelling their songs in ways that had me excitedly scribbling down "Sudden Weather Change, a bit like Q and not U, Les Savy Fav, Wolf Parade and Hot Hot Heat. Like 'Teenage Riot' being repeatedly reworked." Just as I was getting into it, they finished. So I went to see them again that evening, playing in a proper venue and the show was incredible, limbs flinging around, 'awesome' cardigans, three-way shouting... by far my favourite discovery of the event (as I said here: http://drownedinsound.com/in_depth/4135498-iceland-airwaves-2008--the-dis-awards).
So it probably comes as new surprise that when I was asked to pick a bill of Nordic acts from a shortlist, they came to the top of my list. On Thursday (Jan 21st), you can catch this lot at The Lexington in London, I think they're opening so be sure to come early!
Listen to the DiS song of the Day Spotify playlist: http://open.spotify.com/user/seaninsound/playlist/2X2pqoL4G7glBX4js6MU8K
Thoughts? Marks out of 10?
- Reykjavík 101 + Five hot bands from the land of ice
- In Photos: Iceland Music Mess Festival, Reykjavik, Iceland
- Listen: A Nordic-themed Spotify playlist from Ja Ja Ja
- In Photos: DiS Curated Ja Ja Ja Music Event @ The Lexington, London
- The View From The North: Ten Nordic Releases from 2009
- Win! Tickets to Ja Ja Ja's Nordic Night curated by us!
- Hej Hej! DiS goes Nordic for a night with Ja Ja Ja!
- Win a Trip to Iceland + DiS presents a Nordic night!