What's the point in starting a topic with the express intention of expressing your intense dislike for a band?
Subject - The Hold Steady
Content - I hate The Hold Steady and anybody who doesn't hate them is wrong.
Subject - Bob Dylan
Content - If you like Bob Dylan, you are wrong.
Subject - Animal Collective
Content - I don't get why Animal Collective are so popular so everybody must be wrong.
Ok. But what's the point?
There is so, so, so, so much good stuff out there. What's the point in wasting everybody's time in expressing disdain for one thing when you could be expressing your love for something else?
Nobody cares about your hatred. Those that love the band you hate aren't about to stop loving them just because they're made aware that there's people out there who aren't fans. And, no matter how hard you hate, hating a band won't make them go away.
But, still, all over the place, there it is. Would not the internet - neigh, the world - be a much better place if we focused on that which we loved rather than sharing the hatred?
Or is everybody so jaded and cynical now that the only joy in life is to rip things to shreds?
I know what you're thinking - "Oh, is this your first time on the internet?" - fuck that. It is in no way naive to yearn for positivity. Like never before it is so easy to immerse yourself fully in exactly that which you love. Why must spiteful, hateful debates be a prerequisite of a passion for music?
Sneering? Then ignore me. Nodding enthusiastically? Thank you.
- "All songs are about The Sex" - DiS waves farewell to Singles columnist Wendy Roby
- This Week's Singles 12.11.12: Omega Male, Animal Collective, Roses Gabor, Dutch Uncles
- Animal Collective - Centipede Hz
- News Mixtape: July 2012 ft. Frank Ocean, Death Cab's Ben Gibbard, Peter Broderick, Lykke Li and more
- Behind The Screens: DiS meets This Is My Jam
- ATP Animal Collective: the very belated DiS review
- In Photos: Primavera Sound Festival 2011 @ Parc del Forum, Barcelona
- Primavera 2011: the DiS review