(I tried this thread the other day, but hopefully you'll all be less busy at work now)
Just listening to my iPod, and after a dearth of decent 'rock' music of late, this year has given us loads. And lots has been British too.
• The mental Shellac-esque tightness of Kong
• The brilliant, slow burning riffs of Part Chimp
• The combination of rock's past and British grit of Joe Gideon & the Shark
• The new directions taken by The Arctic Monkeys & The Horrors
• The more tune laden fun of Future of the Left
• The spectacle and energy of Action Beat
• The initial promise of bands like Tigerforce and Pulled Apart By Horses
Also, Pissed Jeans, Hunches, ...Trail of Dead and Obits have slayed too from overseas.
All in all, a pretty decent return to form for a genre that had been dragging it's hells a bit in recent years?
- - - - - - - -
(There have been loads of other great British albums this year too, just not of the loud guitar variety: Aidan Moffat, The Phantom Band, Micachu, Lord Cut-Glass, De Rosa, SFA, Malcolm Middleton, Fuck Buttons (they are English aren't they?), The XX, worriedaboutsatan - I think our fair Isle has done itself proud)