I'm doing a bit of research for my first Sunday Times Culture column (which runs next Sunday) and just seeing what methods other people use to deal with the overwhelming choice of the web, p2p and sites like Spotify.
For me I use a combination of
- Making myself playlists of things I know I like
- Making playlists of things I've been meaning to hear
- Checking out other people's playlists (or browsing their hard drive/libraries back in the day of Napster)
- Bookmarking any threads or blog posts with lists of interesting records
- When someone mentions something interesting, and especially if they think i'd like it, I check them out then and there.
- When I'm out and about I set a reminder in my blackberry calendar for when I'm next at a computer of anything I wanna listen to
- I sometimes browse interviews and Wikipedia for acts I like to find out more about their influences
- hypem.com chart
- traditional media and radio
I guess most 'normal'/non-nerdy people just buy Q and listen to things on their lists?