DiS get ya ear holes round this!
'Kode 9 has spoke about dubstep potentially meaning anything made around 140BM, and if Mount Kimbie are dubstep (their debut 12", the Maybes EP, is being released on Scuba's Hotflush label in Februrary) then it's as out-there as the genre's got to date. Title track 'Maybes' starts off with slow washes of Mogwai-style guitar, and then stutters into a looped vocal lament. Most of all, Mount Kimbie's debut sounds like beats dying - the clicks and snaps of closing track 'Taps' seem to splutter and wheeze a rhythm that knows its time's running out. If post-rock was all about making rock music without traditional constraints of structure, then this is where the genre should've gone, rather than a bunch of Godspeed You Black Emperor clones and bands with no ideas left riffing circles into the ground, throwing some strings on top and calling it album number eleven.'
I say sweet jesus this is good, just check the myspace player, the second track clip that comes in on the EP sampler is awsome.
- DiS Does Singles 1.04.13: Empress Of, Mount Kimbie, Haim, Jaws
- Ether 2012: The DiS Preview (+ Playlist)
- Moving Pictures - Videos of the Year: 3rd Quarter 2011
- Watch: Mount Kimbie reveal parting shot video for 'Carbonated'
- The Neptune Music Prize 2011: And the Winner is...
- The Neptune 2011: Nominees announced for DiS' alt-Mercury Music Prize
- Leeds Festival 2011 - Drowned In Sound's Saturday Blog
- Field Day 2011: a Spotify mixtape preview + Stage Times