I only bought about 6 or 7 albums that were released this year, so i've been finding it pretty hard to make "best of" lists for the year.
My top 5 that I bought this year (released in ANY year) is:
1. The Smiths - the queen is dead
proper life changing stuff for me. I'd thought the smiths were just dull before, but this changed it all for me. Morrissey is now one of my biggest heros. How gay. The rest of my list really should include the other smiths albums I bought this year, but that'd spoil it, so i'll just do this one.
2. Bright eyes - fevers and mirrors
'mazing. again, got me "into" bright eyes
3. Kate bush - hounds of love
4. safetyword - man's name is legion
only one on this list that was actually released this year. properly brilliant.
5. Wu tang clan - 36 chambers