Nostalgically rereading Nick Southall's top ten Mucic Geek Accessories list over at Stylus ( http://www.stylusmagazine.com/articles/staff_top_10/top-ten-music-geek-accessories.htm ) I started thinking about my own geeky ways. There's been separate threads on here about our geeky habits but I don't recall a wide ranging one. I now propose to you to make the ultimate music geek thread listing all your habits in the following categories: Home audio Equipment, Portable audio Equipment, Accessories, Shelving, Classification, Decoration, Clothing, Habits, Various (feel free to add a category).
At the end of your post, please give yourself a personal geek score.So who's the biggest music geek on Dis?
*** Home Audio Equipment ***
- NAD 3130 amplifier
- NAD 5220 CD player
- Pioneer Full auto turntable PL-A45
- JMLab Chorus 715 speakers
both CD player and amplifier are over 15-20 years of age but work quite well (although the CD player screen is broken), I'm thinking about revamping my system and looking into the newer NAD systems as well as Cambridge Audio, Atoll and Rega setups. The JMLab speakers are ace.
*** Portable Audio Equipment ***
- 20go IPod G3/G4 (not sure, black and white screen), still working fine after 3 years, don't see the need to change it until it breaks down
*** Accessories ***
- a pair of Sennheiser HD595 headphones (they're really fantastic but I wouldn't dare wear them outside, imagine if it rains! and people can hear what I'm listening to like they were wearing them themselves)
- Very thick silicone skin for my I-Pod which makes it look even bulkier than it is. People are always amazed at how big and old my Ipod is
- 3 piece cleaning kit for Vinyl : Dust and static brush + Vinyl Solution (Shift Dirt, play clean) + Vinyl Polish (Brings back the shine!)
*** Shelving ***
- Shelves built in an old fireplace (looks well cool)
- Ikea Benno Towers
- Shoe Boxes and wine crates
- Ikea Expedit shelf (The only shelf in the world that seems deep and high enough to fit 33rpm Vinyl: http://www.ikea.com/be/fr/catalog/products/70103085)
- All my records are stored in a plastic protective wrap
*** Classification ***
Mix between genre, autobiographical and alphabetical, meaning I'm the only person in the world who understands it (but I really do know where everything is)
*** Decoration ***
- Framed handmade signed Bell Orchestre Poster (looks great)
- Justice secret concert poster from when I was in Hamburg
- Some records up on the wall, attached with two thumbtacks on the bottom and on top (this way they can be removed easily to play them)
- Bob Dylan "Don't look back" DVD bow set sits on a shelf like the holy grail
- Bob Dylan vintage cardboard cutout taken from the "Bob Dylan Scrapbook"
*** Geek Clothing ***
- My geekiest T-Shirt is a Frog Eyes one portraying that very ugly bearded man from their last album. I love it.
*** Geek Habits ***
- I always clean my records before playing them
*** Various ***
- I bought a special expensive cable to hook up my CD player and amp yet could not hear a difference in sound quality
Personal overall geek score 6,5/10