Your are viewing a read-only archive of the old DiS boards. Please hit the Community button above to engage with the DiS !
have good badges! That's something.
I don't like the lead guitar riff on 'Enough Enough' and the guitars could be a bit bigger (meatier?) but I still quite like it. 'Don't Say Anything' is better and the singers vocals work well on it. It's does seem a bit muted though but I think that's down to the production rather than the band.
it's cheesy and catchy and fun to play! :) They're bedroom recordings so they aren't very good - but thanks for the comments! On the whole I'm a bit disillusioned with the whole thing.
Your band are good and I've heard far worse bands that do well. I'm not saying the riff is bad, it just didn't do anything for me. If I actually got to see it played live, it might arouse me slightly.
I'm not fishing for compliments, just wondering if Lyra is the best use of my time, musically speaking.
should become a one man band. You don't see enough of the any more.
but I look silly with a bass drum on my back! It's a look I just can't pull off.
if there are other things you want to try, you should go for them. That's not to say that the band's bad, just that... like if Jack White had felt the need to leave The White Stripes to do stuff like Icky Thump and Blue Orchid, I would have told him to go for it.
And I don't have internet at home, but...I likes it!
but I like it! The recordings aren't particularly good, and neither are my computer speakers, but from what I've heard, I think you have some decent songs.
Give me some advance warning next time you play Nottingham at a weekend, and I'll come up to see you. Then I'll be able to give a more informed/drunker opinion!
Keep the faith!
I'll let you know about weekend gigs in Notts! :)
I'd quite like to fuzz it up a bit, make some big walls of lush guitarness and put a dab of reverb on the vocals to make them float a little...
As for if it's worth your time, well, only you can decide that. It depends what you want from it, and how much you're enjoying it. Personally, I want nothing from my band as long as I'm enjoying playing music, and thus it keeps going until I stop enjoying it.
I do enjoy it, I really do! and I love my bandmates (is that the right term?)
Things have just slowed down a bit and I'm having doubts. I'm also getting on a bit so how I spend my time is important! :)
Keep doing it! There's enough shit to put up with in life without taking away the things you enjoy too...
Doubt nothing, just continue to rock. Hard.
The production is a little lacking but the arrangements are nice enough and the playing is competent enough
personally I think it could benefit from more backing vocals from the other members of the band (if that's possible) like at the end of don't say anything
The biggest problem to my ears is that it seems a little between two positions. On the one hand you could go for a bigger, brighter, clearer pop sheen or on the other hand you could withdraw a little more into the soundscapes and make it more of a 'deep' experience.
The lyrics need a little work too but I'd say you're better than about 98% of the unsigned bands I hear and no worse than the other 2%
The bit about being between two positions is very true!
and I like it when people suggest more vocals from me! ;)
I liked the backing vocals at the end of 'don't say anything'.
Okay. I can't. Okay.
it really is no power-up!