"The new album is being sketched out and it's called "Heartland". Do you like the title? I think it's nice. It's another concept album, but this one has an overarching narrative. A plot arc, if you will. Like a Batman comic or... or... a 19th century Romantic song cycle like "Dichterliebe".
Recording wise, it's going to sound exactly like "He Poos Clouds" but with better microphones, better writing and we're using compressors to make it sound taut and clicky. No more weak, fey shit! Except the singing. That will always be tacky.
There will be a prequel EP of sorts. Ideally it will be released in March to co-incide with an upcoming tour supporting a band who's name I cannot divulge. But most of you will have already been planning to buy tickets. The tour will only be on the West Coast of the US, I'm afraid, but will include Final Fantasy's first ever gig in Seattle.
We're tracking songs for the long-overdue 7"s, as well. The stuff we tried before sounded pretty lame.
After this tour, there will not be any real touring for a... long time. At the earliest: fall 2007. Some dates here and there but nothing spectacular. I want to practise a bunch and come back in 2008 with entire new sets of entirely new material.
The way I see it, this last tour was a set that contained "CN Tower", "Win & Regine", "Song Song Song" and a whole lot of padding. I know that's a harsh synopsis but I'm resolved to keep with looped violin and try and wash away its rusty redundancies and prime it for extreme aesthetic pleasure. You see?
Until then, I hope you're all well. I've been touring almost constantly since September 2004 so I'm very excited to get a few months off to write and practise. If any of you saw a show, there was a 75% chance it was a good one and I hope you enjoyed what you saw. If you're one of the unlucky 25%, I'm sorry. Constant touring yields inconsistent results, you know?
Take care, Owen"