25th September - Community Is Home
UpRise Festival 2011, London.
Completely Free. All Ages All Dayer from 11am.
Live Music, Art, Film, Word, Theatre, Dance, Workshops, Walk, Debate, Unity.
UpRise Anti-Racism Festival 2011 - Community Is Home' explores how our community and planet are simply an extension of home. Sometimes we get on each others nerves, but we share the same space so must learn to respect and learn from each other. Giving ourselves a chance to really live.
Network socially (FB event) http://on.fb.me/UpRise_2011
Featuring multiple venues in interesting, artful and unusual spaces in Dalston, UpRise 2011 highlights the amazing work people are doing to move towards a society with 'Peace Across The Streets'.
1) The Pavement – 11am-2pm - An insightful walk of 400 years of African-based history around St Pauls. To reserve a limited free place (25th Sept only), please email info[at]blackhistorywalks[dot]co[dot]uk quoting 'UpRise'. http://www.blackhistorywalks.co.uk/
2) The Patio – 12-8pm. Live music, inspirational speakers and DJ’s on a solar powered stage including Baby Sol, Aruba Red, Cynikal and many more being confirmed. http://www.gillettsquare.org.uk/
3) The Balcony - 12 – 7pm. Art Workshops and gallery. Contribute to the giant washing line! http://london.studioupstairs.org.uk/
4) The Kitchen 12 – 8pm. Drumming and art workshops, films, Peoples Kitchen food http://www.passingclouds.org/
5) The Hall. Art Exhibition on the wall outside Passing Clouds
6) The Bookshelf. 12 – 6pm. Talks and readings at Centerprise. 4pm – Andrew Ward presentation on 400 years of British Civil Rights http://www.centerprisetrust.org.uk/
7) The Living Room 12 – 8pm. Live Music, DJ's, stalls, poetry workshop at Open The Gate. http://www.openthegate.org.uk/
8) The Basement 12 – 7pm Medics Sans Frontier exhibit and art exhibitions in the WWII Bunker
9) The Roof 12–10pm. Live music, spoken word, DJs on the Dalston Roof Park with Lyrix Organix, Brazenbunch and Rocklands, and friends, united http://www.bootstrapcompany.co.uk/13_dalston_roof_park
10) The Tent 12–8pm. Theatre, dance, debate and comedy in the Arcola Theatre Tent http://www.arcolatheatre.com/
11) The Garden 11 – 6pm. Family area, workshops, storytelling, face painting, balloons in the Dalston Eastern Curve Garden http://dalstongarden.site11.com/
12) The Wall - Dalston Peace Mural http://londonmuralpreservationsociety.com/murals/Hackney-Peace-Carnival-Mural/
13) The Studio 2 – 4pm. Hackney Unites host a discussion in Studio 2 of the Arcola Theatre http://www.hackneyunites.org.uk/
14) Union City Union. Charity and community stalls at the Vortex Jazz Club
Plus after parties:
Numbi at Open The Gate, Jam at Passing Clouds.
Produced and curated by BrazenBunch.
Sponsored by; BrazenBunch, UNISON, SERTUC, The Cooperative, NUT, GMB Southern Region, Unite the Union, PCS, Musicians Union
UpRise is about working together. Contributors to UpRise 2011 include: Arcola Theatre, Black History Walks, Bootstrap, Centerprise, Eastern Curve Garden, Lyrix Organix, Open The Gate, Passing Clouds, Rocklands.