A.R.T. is a new free monthly magazine which promotes participation, education, entrepreneurship and personal and professional development in the creative and cultural industries.
It aims to encourage, inspire and support creative artists, students, practitioners, professionals and entrepreneurs studying, working or developing a career or business in the various creative fields.
Launching this October, our monthly distribution is 30,000 and includes outlets such as international art and design colleges, independent shops, galleries and cafes, and established retailers such as Diesel, Borders and HMV.
We are seeking music writers, journalists and essayists to create a variety of informative yet entertaining content covering a variety of styles and genres (e.g. Indie, Dubstep, Contemporary Classical, Grime, etc).
Depending on a writer's background, knowledge and skills, tasks include:
- writing a short review of a new single/album/gig by an emerging artist;
- writing a more lengthy interview with an established industry figure discussing their achievements;
- writing an article related to working within the music business (e.g. how music trends emerge and disappear, what you know vs. who you know, etc.).
A high standard of written English is essential (as well as spoken English for the interviewing tasks), as are a knowledge of music's history and present and research skills, thereby ensuring well-written and well-informed writing. Contacts within the industry (e.g. musicians, promoters, label owners, etc.) and the ability to generate your own article ideas are beneficial, although they are by no means prerequisites for a role.
To apply, please send a message via DiS or email (email@example.com) containing:
- copied and pasted (rather than attached) samples (min. one, max. three) of relevant writing;
- a paragraph about yourself (e.g. your writing background, musical specialism, etc.);
- the particular type(s) of writing tasks you consider yourself qualified to perform.