- Nine Inch Nails »
- Island »
"You might say I'm losing my focus," sings/says Trent Reznor fifty seconds into the new Nine Inch Nails single. Yes, I might. Production quirks aside (live drums - ooh!) current release 'With Teeth' is probably the most pointless disc NIN have ever released and 'Only' epitomises this. It's not bad as such, but every decent moment reminds you of a song on 'The Fragile' that did it better (for the record, 'We're In This Together', 'Into The Void' and 'Where Is Everybody?'). We've heard that wailing guitar tone before. We're all familiar with the angsty vocals and the squelchy, plinky synths have barely changed since 'Pretty Hate Machine.' I'm one of the few people who didn't think 'The Fragile' was overkill and I had no desire to hear it revisited, so I dread to think how the rest of you feel.
Okay, so it's a bit looser this time. Well, that might have passed for innovation if it weren't for the fact that every single one of NIN's imitators has already gone down that path. Much as I like Filter and VAST, it's fucking sad to see Reznor following anyone.
- Weekend Listening: M83, SVIIB, HTDA (Trent Reznor), Chvrches, Ed Harcourt, Melody's Echo Chamber +mo
- DiS Report: The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo - Film Premiere
- "It's the inner DJ in me": Ghosting Season meet film maker Adam Curtis
- Survey says: Streaming Subscription Services like Spotify Are Too Expensive
- Drowned in Sound celebrates 10 years with a 2-hour takeover of BBC 6Music
- Spotifriday #65 - This Week on DiS as a playlist
- Interview: Trent Reznor discusses The Social Network soundtrack
- Trent Reznor on Why Facebook "Sucks"