Canadian synth-rock-heroes Metric are coming back to the UK to play some shows to promote their fifth, full-length studio album Synthetica.
This is what the cover of the record looks like:
About the cover, Emily Haines says:
“We wanted the artwork for Synthetica to be thought provoking and a little disorienting, an optical illusion which asks you to stop for a moment and consider what you are looking at. We were very influenced by images from the Radical architecture movement of the 1960s”
Here are some more details for you:
- Synthetica, Haines explains "...is about being able to identify the original in a long line of reproductions. It's about what is real vs what is artificial."
- The first single from the album is out on May 1st, and is a song called ‘Youth Without Youth’ (yes, that is also the name of a Francis Ford Coppola movie), which according to the press release is a song that 'tackles the topic of a fraying social state with bristling energy and lyrical complexity, spearheaded by a characteristically driving rhythm.'
- The album was recorded at their own Giant Studios in Toronto and at Electric Lady Studios in NYC, where it was mixed by long-time collaborator, John O’Mahony.
- Liam O'Neill from The Stills and Eight and a Half (who play the DiS stage at Great Escape!), also worked in the studio with the band.
- as part of the 2 month countdown, fans will be able to hear the whole album, but not all in one go. If you head over to ilovemetric.com now you can experience "Reflections of Synthetica"
- We've heard the record and it's a triumphant blast of shattered disco balls and soaring guitars. There are some killer hooks and gorgeous synth textures. Basically, it's the Metric we all know and love, evolved a little more, but not too much.
S Y N T H E T I C A : TRACKLISTING
Youth Without Youth
Speed The Collapse
Dreams So Real
Nothing But Time
And yeah, the headline does mention UK live dates, and they are:
2nd London, UK @ 02 Shepherds Bush Empire
7th Manchester UK @ HMV Ritz
8th Oxford, UK @ 02 Academy
For ticket links, album teasers and more visit ilovemetric.com.