To celebrate the launch of the new BlackBerry® Torch™, DiS has teamed up with Mixcloud for a six week feast of mixtapes.
We love making mixtapes and we love listening to DJ mixes and podcasts. We basically love discovering music when it's compiled together with things we know and other things we might fall in love with. We love mixtapes, you love mixtapes and everybody especially loves them when they're on the interweb for all to hear, which is why we're really excited about Mixcloud, which you may have noticed we've used a few times on the site so far this year. Oh and we dunno about you, be we love it when there are prizes just for sharing the ones you've made or bigging up the mixes you like.
Mix Makers Competition
So yes, all you budding James Murphys, Diplos and John Peels of the future, consider this our gauntlet well and truly thrown down. Make a mixtape, upload it to Mixcloud.com tagged 'Best of DiS Comp', and win a Pacemaker for all your future DJ endeavours in Madrid, Milan and/or wet Monday nights in Margate. We'll then leave it up to our community to vote by sharing the mixes, and our editorial team will pick their favourite from the top 10. Points will be rewarded for indieness/womp-ness, mixing skillz and imagination but above all, the quality of the songs. Sign-up to Mixcloud.com. Submit your mix.
Important: Please use this image and tag it DiSis10.
Mix Lovers Competition
If you're a mixtape lover but not a maker don't feel left out, simply explore the submissions, find a mixtape you like, share it and win the love of your friends for turning them on to something awesome. Oh and if hearing great music wasn't enough of a prize, find a mixtape you love and when you share it you are also entered into our competition to be picked at random to win a BlackBerry® Torch™ Handset worth £500*, so you can twitpic photos of your new records before you've even got them back to your turntable or maybe just to IM your mates about your latest music tips as well as £100 to spend in Rough Trade Shops (which might come in handy for things you find on mixes and those imminent end of year lists). To enter, you simply need to like your favourite mix using the Facebook buttons or share it on Twitter. Simples. Browse submissions tagged DiS is 10, here and we'll highlight some of our favourites over the next few weeks.
*Prize includes handset only
Here's that super-producer responsible for MIA through Rolo Tomassi and renowned DJ, Diplo, bigging up his BlackBerry® usage:
..and for the techies among you, here's a round up of some of the fancy features found inside BlackBerry's new super-smartphone:
BBM Chat from just about anywhere with BBM instant messaging. Push technology notifies you the second a message arrives so no need to check for replies.
Touch & Type Get a more hands-on experience as you navigate between applications and browse the web with your finger. Typing is easy with the screen click function and on-screen QWERTY keyboard.
Faster, richer browsing Manage multiple open websites with tabbed browsing. Bookmark your favourite sites with branded icons and customisable names, and access them right from the home screen. Just a few of the great features from the new BlackBerry® 6 OS.
Enhanced music player Thanks to BlackBerry® 6 and a large touch screen, you can experience a full-featured music player that allows you to see full album and track listings, and scroll through your songs quickly and easily.
Integrated social feeds Bring your sources of inspiration together on the BlackBerry® Torch™. Gather and filter all your social network and RSS feeds in one view, or spread your own inspiration & update multiple social networks with a single post.
Oh and what is a mixtape, without a theme? Each week, for the next six weeks, we'll have a different theme kicked off by a special guest Mixcloud mix. Starting things off this week, is DiS founder Sean Adams with 40mins of music from the past 10 years.
Surely you can pick and mix together a better selection of songs than this chump? Make your mixtape (in Garageband, Ableton or whatever you prefer) and uploaded it now to Mixcloud.com, with this image and tagged "DiSis10" for your chance to win.
To give you a headstart on the upcoming themes. Next week's theme is New York. The week after is your local scene. The week after is your favourite label. And then as we hit year-endish time, DiS will share our songs of 2010. The week after, as we enter the sixth week of the competition, we want you to make a mix of your tips for 2011 and we'll be sharing some of our acts to look out for. The top 10 mixes, with the most votes from our community, will then be announced, and we'll reveal which one of these our editorial team loved the most.
How to Enter
We've said all this above but just to re-iterate.
For mix lovers it's easy, just browse the mixes tagged DiSis10 and share your favourites - we'll know you've shared it and you'll be entered for a chance to win goodies. You can share as many mixes as you like (including the one above) and the winner will be picked at random.
For mix makers you need to do the following:
1) Pick your songs.
2) Make your mix using Ableton (you can get a 30 day free trial, here), Garageband, Audacity or something like that.
3) Save your mix as an MP3.
4) Upload it to mixcloud.com (you'll need to sign-up for a free account if you don't already have one).
5) Use this image on your mix.
6) Tag your mix DiSis10.
7) Share your mix, as the 10 with the most votes enter the final round for a chance to win the prizes mentioned above.
Happy mixing. Happy listening. And good luck!
You'll find lots more info about this competition on Mixcloud, here.
Here are some additional mixes DiS has made over the past few weeks...
Some New Music Tips for 2011
- Bear Mask Hazel Brown (Demo)
- James Blake Bills Bills Bills (By Destiny’s Child)
- Nicki Minaj Roman’s Revenge Feat. Eminem
- Factory Floor A Wooden Box
- Blondes Moondance
- worriedaboutsatan You’re In My Thoughts
- Lanterns On The Lake Lungs Quicken
- Under Alien Skies Bloodsport
- Let’s Buy Happiness Devil Show
- memoryhouse Heirloom
Some Songs of 2011
- Noveller Almost Alright
- Memoryhouse Lately (Deuxième)
- Emeralds Science Centre
- James Blake CMYK
- Kelis Acapella - Bright Light Bright Light Symphonic Mix
- The Futureheads Acapella
- Perfume Genius Mr Peterson
- Yeasayer Ambling Alp - Memory Tapes Remix
- Gold Panda Same Dream China
- Pantha Du Prince Stick To My Side - Four Tet Remix
- Sleigh Bells Rill Rill - George Lenton Mix
- White Hinterland Icarus
- Blondes Spanish Fly
Sean's Favourite Label of Past 10 Years: Matador Records
- Cat Power Names
- Interpol Hands Away
- Seachange News From Nowhere
- Kurt Vile Freak Train
- Pretty Girls Make Graves The Teeth Collector
- Sonic Youth Antenna
- Cat Power Crazy (Gnarls Barkley)
10 Years in... New York
We asked Amanda Tannen, Hamilton Leithauser, Chris Keating, and Lio Kanine for their favourite New York songs from the last ten years. These were their picks:
- The Strokes Last Nite
- Elef.Ant Bokkie
- Suckers Afterthoughts And TV
- Grizzly Bear Deep Sea Diver
- Longwave I Know It's Coming Someday
- Jeffrey Lewis Don't Be Upset
- Chairlift Bruises
- LCD Soundsystem Disco Infiltrator
- Oxford Collapse The Boys Go Home
Some Favourite Songs of Past 10 Years
- Mercury Rev Snowflake In A Hot World
- Dan Deacon The Crystal Cat
- Jaydiohead 99 Anthems
- Thom Yorke Harrowdown Hill
- LCD Soundsystem All My Friends (John Cale Version)
- Colder Losing Myself
- Phoenix Love Like A Sunset (Animal Collective Remix)
- Saul Williams PG
- School Of Seven Bells Iamundernodisguise
- Gang Gang Dance House Jam
- Murder Of Rosa Luxemburg Welcome Lost Souls
- Errors Cutlery Draw (Feat. George Pringle)
Children of Eno - 6Mix for BBC 6Music
- Nine Inch Nails - 2 Ghosts 1
- Valgeir Sigurosson - Focal Point
- The Field - A Paw in My Face
- *Gold Panda *- Quitter’s Raga
- HEALTH - We Are Water
- Mount Kimbie - Maybes
- Liars - The Other Side of Mt Heartattack
...And Here's a Few Submissions We Like
- Help us compile The Ultimate Electronic Music playlist and you could win a bag of records
- "No regrets. None."- DiS meets LCD Soundsystem's James Murphy
- Win! Tickets to LCD Soundsystem Shut Up And Play the Hits London Premiere!
- Weekend Listening: LCD Soundsystem, Radiohead, Tom Waits, New Look, Cat Power + more!
- Drowned in Film at Sundance London
- 101 Minutes of Bliss #1: A DiS YouTube Playlist
- Reviewed: Shut Up And Play the Hits a documentary about the last days of LCD Soundsystem
- Friday Fun: Time for some James Murphy coffee?