Drowned in Sound returns to Summer Sundae, this Sunday, to kick off a 10-week celebration of a decade of DiS^.
Yep, you read that right, on October 10th 2010 (or 10/10/10) Drowned in Sound will be 10 years old and we're very very excited to be kicking off the party at our favourite UK festival this Sunday (August 15th) with a host of musicians who've twisted, twirled and punctuated our past 10 years. It's Summer Sundae festival's 10th Birthday too, so you better get baking two cakes and find twenty candles, sharpish.
From Montreal to Sunderland, we put out a call and were rather giddy to find our invitations to grace the stage of De Montfort Hall accepted by many of our favourite bands and some newer acts we've been singing the praises of, of late. We announced and introduced our line-up a few weeks back, and with the hour drawing close, here are the stage times so you don't miss a thing:
DiS Stage Timings
- 10pm - The Futureheads
- 8:30pm - Frightened Rabbit
- 6:30pm - Los Campesinos!
- 5pm - Errors
- 3:30pm - The Besnard Lakes
- 2:15pm - Summer Camp
- 1pm - Catherine A.D.
- Midday - Local openers: Little Night Terrors
As you can see from the timing, there are some reasonable gaps between acts, this is to allow for the bands to set-up but also so you can nip out for an ale and catch the likes of Mumford & Sons, Local Natives, The Low Anthem, Johnny Flynn, DM Stith and Jose Gonzales new band Junip. If you didn't manage to purchase a ticket for the festival, sadly all day tickets for Sunday and all weekend tickets are now sold out (rumours that this has anything to do with DiS spinning MP3s between the bands, are without foundation).
Summer Sundae - Drowned in Sound stage sampler
Here's a little playlist we made in case you need a quick reminder of who the bands playing our stage are:
- 'Albatross' by The Besnard Lakes
- 'Swim Until You Can't See Land' by Frightened Rabbit
- 'Struck Dumb' by The Futureheads
- 'These Are Listed Buildings' by Los Campesinos!
- 'Ghost Train' by Summer Camp
- 'A Rumour in Africa' by Errors
- 'Better than Love' by Hurts covered by Catherine A.D.
Plus, if that wasn't enough, if you fire up this "Drowned in Summer Sundae 2010" Spotify playlist, we've included the following selection of tracks from acts playing the festival to get you in the mood for this weekend in Leicester:
- Caribou – Hannibal
- Roots Manuva – Strange Behaviour
- The Invisible – London Girl
- Steve Mason – Lost And Found
- Fools Gold – Nadine
- Johnny Flynn – Kentucky Pill
- Mumford & Sons – Hold On To What You Believe
- Turin Brakes – The Door
- Local Natives – Sun Hands (Aquarium Drunkard Session)
- Junip – Always
- The Fall – Y.F.O.C. / Slippy Floor
- Gaggle – I Hear Flies
- The Go! Team – Ladyflash
- Fionn Regan – Protection Racket
- Fanfarlo – Drowning Men
- The Wave Pictures – Now You Are Pregnant
- Goldheart Assembly – King Of Rome (Single Version)
- Jocie Adams – To The Ghosts Who Write History Books
- Tunng – Santiago
Listen: Drowned in Summer Sundae
For more info visit SummerSundae.com.
^ = the "DiS is 10 - 10 weeks of DiS" kick off on Monday with a week dedicated to genres which didn't exist 10 years ago, with a special in-depth look at Dubstep. We're also beginning our 'Favourite 50" where 50 of our favourite people (writers, readers, bloggers, DJs, label bosses and musicians) reveal one of their personal favourite records of the past 10 years. Plus there's a whole heap more editorial and events planned over the coming 10 weeks - join the mailing list to be first to hear what's happening.