- Lady GaGa »
- Yeah Yeah Yeahs »
- Kanye West »
- Beyoncé »
- Animal Collective »
- Franz Ferdinand »
- Yeah Yeah Yeahs »
- The Prodigy »
- The Killers »
- Lily Allen »
- Green Day »
What with all that singles chart hullabaloo going on with X-Factor vs. Rage vs. a few other notable entrants, we thought we'd bring you news of ANOTHER chart, but perhaps one we can relate to a little better this time - the last.fm yearly charts.
For those not in the know a) where have you been? b) last.fm is a website which records and charts your music listening habits, with weekly, monthly, yearly listens to artists, albums, songs and whatnot. Fairly simple.
There's no real surprise who topped this particular competition in 2009, the year only belonged to one crazy tea-cup and saucer wielding woman, Lady GaGa, who topped the last.fm's list for the year with an absolutely ridiculous amount of plays for her album, The Fame.
Here are the Top 10 artists and albums in full:
- Lady GaGa - The Fame - 18,487,185 plays
- The Killers - Day & Age - 12,471,571
- Lily Allen - It's Not Me, It's You - 10,522, 633
- The Prodigy - Invaders Must Die - 8,900,264
- Franz Ferdinand - Tonight - 8,795,186
- Beyoncé - I Am Sasha Fierce - 8,642,704
- Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavillion - 7,630,636
- Green Day - 21st Century Breakdown - 7,607,636
- Yeah Yeah Yeahs - It's Blitz - 6,855,404
- Kanye West - 808 & Heartbreak - 6,615, 339
Predictable? Decent? Merriweather?!
As well as those proper albums list, there's also a last.fm 'Hot New Artists' of 2009, which was calculated by the number of plays in the shortest period of time, with all the acts given a temperature rating. In degrees Celcius. Bloody Europeans. Here it is:
- The xx - xx - 43ºC
- Fever Ray - Fever Ray - 36ºC
- La Roux - La Roux - 35ºC
- Passion Pit - Manners - 32ºC
- Lady GaGa - The Fame - 31ºC
- Little Boots - Hands - 29ºC
- Florence + The Machine - Lungs - 28ºC
- Bat For Lashes - Two Suns - 21ºC
- Taylor Swift - Fearless - 21ºC
Why there's only nine there I'm not quite sure. Still it fits well in with the 9 in '09 handle which we've been using better than a Top 10 would have.
We have our OWN last.fm group here which you should join if you have an account, obviously. I haven't worked out (yet) how to get our yearly charts but rest assured that it's most likely Animal Collection.
VERY IMPORTANT STATISTICAL UPDATE: Thanks to the very wonderful Theo Graham-Brown who has helped us (read: done it all on his own) tot up our yearly charts, as well as our overall charts for the last.fm group. Check below for some (un)surprising results!
- Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavillion - 4,441 plays
- Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago - 3,179
- Radiohead - In Rainbows - 2,677
- The National - Boxer - 2,652
- Grizzly Bear - Veckatimest - 2,505
- Deerhunter - Microcastle - 2,503
- Yeah Yeah Yeahs - It's Blitz - 2,497
- The Horrors - Primary Colours - 2,472
- Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes - 2,358
- Friendly Fires - Friendly Fires - 2,144
The top 10 albums OF ALL TIME:
- Radiohead - In Rainbows - 6,283
- Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago - 5,313
- Neutral Milk Hotel - In The Aeroplane Over The Sea - 5,082
- Battles - Mirrored - 4,995
- Interpol - Turn On The Bright Lights - 4,985
- Bloc Party - Silent Alarm - 4,730
- Radiohead - Kid A - 4,649
- My Bloody Valentine - Loveless - 4,580
- Radiohead - OK Computer - 4,493
DiScuss: Got your own yearly lists? Post them below, for all to praise or mock.
- Singles Are Dead! Long Live Tracks...?
- The Monster Pit, The Castle and Me: Lady GaGa in London by Sean Adams
- 10 Ways to Fail as a Mainstream DJ by Lady Starlight
- DiS Does Pop #5: In search of pop's biggest sell out
- Win: Sonos PLAY:3 Wireless HiFi + Deezer Premium+
- DiS Does Pop: The Xmas Bumper Edition
- Drowned in Sound's Albums of the Year: 5-1
- DiS' Favourite Albums of 2011: 49-21