The new Manic Street Preachers album, Journal For Plague Lovers, is set to be given the usual remix treatment by a bunch of artists who their fans might find appealing.
Set to work their musical magic on tracks from the Manics' ninth studio album are British Sea Power, Adem, The Horrors and perennial remix stalwart Four Tet.
Of the remixes, the ever-sunglassed Nicky Wire said:
“It’s been a pretty overwhelming response to be honest. We chose people for each track hoping they would bring us back something unique, that they’d find something we maybe hadn’t in the track. Without fail, they’ve done that. Heartfelt thanks from us to everyone involved.”
The remixes will be turned into a full album (Journal For Rave Lovers?!) but before all that an remix EP will be available to download digitally from June 15. No release date has been set for the full album.
The full tracklisting is below:
- Andrew Weatherall - ‘Peeled Apples’
- Saint Etienne ‘Jackie Collins Existential Question Time’
- British Sea Power - ‘Me And Stephen Hawking’
- Patrick Wolf - ‘This Joke Sport Severed’
- Optimo (Espacio) - ‘Journal For Plague Lovers’
- The Pariahs - ‘She Bathed Herself In A Bath Of Bleach’
- Adem - ‘Facing Page Top Left’
- New Young Pony Club - ‘Marlon JD’
- The Horrors - ‘Doors Closing Slowly’
- Errors - ‘All Is Vanity’
- Four Tet - ‘Pretension/Repulsion’
- Fuck Buttons ‘Virginia State Epileptic Colony’
- Underworld ‘William’s Last Words’
- Jonathan Krisp - ‘Bag Lady’
Journal For Plague Lovers was released yesterday.
Thoughts? Are these remix albums all getting a bit tiresome and, well, just shit? Who the hell listens to these things?