Babyscrambles: Doherty mobs Pop
Pete Doherty has revealed he was part of the stage invasion during The Stooges’ Glastonbury performance – and insists Iggy Pop is a fan of his work.
Two hundred eager audience members joined the proto-punk legends onstage during their set on Saturday (June 23).
Doherty, who performed sets with Babyshambles and on his lonesome over the washout weekend, said: “I got up there, I was jumping about and all that, and I saw this QPR shirt in the midst of all the turmoil. I made a beeline for it and grabbed hold of him, and said ‘yeah! Come on you ‘R’s!’ Bad idea. He was like, ‘PETE! Gimmie your address! I’ll send you one!’”
He added that meeting Iggy had been the highlight of his festival: “I said to him, I’m not being funny, but you’re a great lyricist Mr Pop. He said, ‘yeah man, I’ve heard some of your stuff, I’ve heard The Libertines, but I prefer Babyshambles.’”
Other celebrity fans of Babyshambles include Kate Moss.
The troubling rocker (as opposed to ‘troubled’) said that he and missus Kate found a novel way to escape the attentions of the paparazzi at the Worthy Farm site.
“Obviously walking around can be a bit of a hassle, so we got up in disguise. I had a poncho with long black wig, she had long black hair and make-up. We had a bit of a dance and it was alright.”
I’d really like it if someone would write a nice poem about Pete and Kate, obviously the more cynical the better, etc etc ETC.
- Spotifriday #28 - This Week on DiS as a playlist
- Iggy & The Stooges and more for Matt Groening ATP
- Hindsight: Swervedriver and shoegaze reassessed
- The Stooges are robbed; appeal for information
- Iggy and the Stooges headlining Get Loaded in the Park 2008
- Talking 'bout my reformation: in defence of Don't Look Back
- Babyscrambles: Doherty mobs Pop
- That Glasto line-up in full...