As an integral part of Broken Social Scene, and now as one of third Eight And A Half - who play their first UK shows this week - Justin Peroff is clearly a man who knows his way around a beat. We asked him to make us a mixtape to get us in the mood for their show on the DiS stage at The Great Escape this week, and this is what came back...
"This mix of forward-thinking-future-beat instrumental hip hop started at all things J Dilla. Jay Dee. James Dewitt Yancey. His left side leaning mentality of hip hop production has changed the way beat makers approach their art, forever. This neck brace required mix of 30 plus producers will take you on a journey through a swung-bastic universe of synth's and slaps. I truly, madly, deeply cannot get enough of this shit. "
Abjo - Kalimba Song
Teebs - While You Doooo
Mndsgn - Wobbyclouds
Elaquent - Reccuring Dream
Secret Track - Secret Track
Knxwledge - Rektro
Jonti - Nagoya Train Station 3AM
Mike Slott - Flunky
Alex B - Pad 5
Star Slinger - Mornin'
Lazloh - Bee - Yerk
Eight and a Half - Scissors (TOKiMONSTA Remix)
Darkhouse Family - Stay Blazed
Onra - Send Me Your Love
Lazloh - Laz…
Flying Lotus - Sleepy Dinosaur
Pixel Lord - Cheese Freak
VLooper - Neon Water Planet
Hayzee - Press Start
BMB aka Space Kid - Dillagalaxy
Dibiase - Neighbourhood Watch
Samiyam - Wonton Special
Million Young - Chlorophyl
- Ed Harcourt, Liars, Ghosting Season, Eight and a Half, Luke Abbott's LPs of 2012
- Weekend Listening: Ghosting Season, Sigur Ros, M83, Paul Banks + Spotify playlists
- Half-Year, Half Dozen: Six Recommended Debut Albums
- Mixtape: Eight And a Half's forward-thinking-future-beat instrumental hip hop
- DiS' 5 Must-See Acts at The Great Escape 2012 + Spotify playlist
- Planet Gear: Eight And A Half's Culture Vulture
- 5-4-Fri: Eight And a Half, FOE, Dirty Projectors, Buffalo Tide + "Sigh-Fi"
- The DiS Digest: Q1 2012 as a 50-song Spotify playlist