- Bat For Lashes »
The first 6Music protest 'event' happened at the end of March in a bid to save the doomed radio station from closure. There were drinks, lots of people and even a few bands, who all gathered outside Broadcasting House in London.
Now there's another one, organised for tomorrow, also in London. I'm going to tell you about that now, as details of it have just arrived in my inbox. As above, it'll take place on Saturday May 22. The demonstration begins at Broadcasting House at Midday. Sharp. Featured in the event will be speeches from 6Music DJs Andrew Collins, Liz Kershaw, Tom Robinson and Cerys Matthews PLUS a guest appearance from Ed Byrne, with the whole thing compered by Jon Holmes, also a 6Music presenter. You get the general gist.
Georgina Rodgers, co-founder of the Save BBC 6 Music organising committee, said:
“With the BBC Trust Consultation closing on the 25th May, this is our last chance to get our message across about how much 6 Music means to its million plus listeners. We have kept up the pressure and action from the moment the proposed closure was announced, and we hope that we have got our message across that 6 Music is a jewel in the crown of the BBC that should not only be saved from the axe, but should be nurtured.”
As you should be well aware, the BBC Strategy Review from a few months ago proposed that the BBC should scrap 6Music, as well as the BBC Asian Network in a bid to do 'fewer things better', or some other such phrase. Since then there's been a bit of an uprising against the potential closure of the station and over 8,000 complaints have been received about the proposal.
You can join the Facebook group here, visit Love6Music and/or take a peek at the latest listening figures from RAJAR and BBC Radio Online. In other 6Music related news Bat For Lashes, on the back of winning an Ivor Novello award (more on that in a bit), has urged people to sign the petition and what not. She'd probably want you to go to this protest thing, too. Take the sun cream!
- Drowned in Sound's Favourite Albums of 2012: 100-51
- In Photos: Bat For Lashes @ HMV Forum, London
- This Week's Singles 29.10.12: Mac DeMarco, Two Fingers, Colorama, Bat For Lashes
- "I've got a couple of pubes showing... what's the problem?" DiS meets Bat For Lashes
- Bat For Lashes - The Haunted Man
- Weekend Listening: Stay+, Patrick Wolf, Halls, Exitmusic, Stereophonics, Deftones
- Electric Picnic 2012: The DiS Review
- News Mixtape: July 2012 ft. Frank Ocean, Death Cab's Ben Gibbard, Peter Broderick, Lykke Li and more