- Blur »
Blur are to release their first single for an absolute age, reports The Sun. It'll be available next week as part of the independent extravaganza that is Record Store Day. It is also, they point out, the band's first single since way back in 2003, when 'Good Song' was released, reaching number 22 in the chart.
A source - unnamed by The Sun - said:
"Initially, Damon had no intention of going back into the studio with Blur. He's been very busy with Gorillaz."
"But he couldn't resist seeing if the magic was still there with his old chums. And it was."
"They've recorded a limited-edition 7in single which will be released a week tomorrow."
Only 1,000 copies of the as-yet-unnamed 7" single will be going on sale, available in selected stores participating in Record Store Day, which will lead to demand being incredibly high, I'd have thought. Who knows, though, they may even release it digitally or have some to give away in some sort of competition.
Damon Albarn said of the plight of the independent record store:
"We want independent record stores to continue - they're an important part of our musical culture. Music is a simple way for Blur to show our support and we hope people like it."
A whole bunch of wonderful and weird artists are releasing limited edition singles, EPs and whatnot to celebrate Record Store Day. More information on the day's goings on can be found here. Get involved, as they say.
- DiS does Primavera 2013 - Who To See?
- In Photos: Coachella 2013 @ Empire Polo Club, California
- Blur - Parklive
- Video Round-up: Sigur Ros, Metric, Hey Sholay, Foals + more!
- Weekend Listening: Gwilym Gold, Jens Lekman, Erol Alkan, Patrick Wolf + lots more
- In Photos: Way Out West 2012 @ Gothenburg, Sweden
- Dispatch: Blur in Hyde Park at the BT London Live Olympic Closing Ceremony Celebration Concert, Augu
- Damon Albarn: The Appiest Man in Show Business?