Just when you thought you'd had enough of end-of-year lists, there comes another, more democratic, and arguably interesting one. Yep, it's that time of the year (the beginning of it) where our users/readers/forum members get polled on their favourite albums of the year, ending in the Drowned in Sound User's Poll of 2009! In 2010!
The process is entirely independent and separate of the editorial side of things, and this year has been brilliantly compiled by ring-tailed-lemur, who collected, counted, counted some more and then collated all of your votes into a nice spreadsheet.
Everyone was asked to pick their Top 5 albums of 2009, with their first choice getting five points, second choice four...and so on. Simple maths, really. If you didn't specify an order, all albums were given three points.
Here's what the list turned out like, with Animal Collective topping it with 151 points, Wild Beasts taking the silver medal with 111, and The XX in third with a very close 108 points.
- Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavilion
- Wild Beasts - Two Dancers
- The XX - XX
- Grizzly Bear - Veckatimest
- Future of the Left - Travels With Myself And Another
- The Horrors - Primary Colours
- Fuck Buttons - Tarot Sport
- Phoenix - Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix
- The Antlers - Hospice
- Fever Ray - Fever Ray
- The Pains Of Being Pure At Heart - The Pains Of Being Pure At Heart
- Dirty Projectors - Bitte Orca
- Yeah Yeah Yeahs - It's Blitz!
- Japandroids - Post Nothing
- Mew - No More Stories...
- Pissed Jeans - King Of Jeans
- Sunn O))) - Monoliths & Dimensions
- The Twilight Sad - Forget The Night Ahead
- Bat For Lashes - Two Suns
- HEALTH - Get Color
- St Vincent - Actor
- Sunset Rubdown - Dragonslayer
- Bill Callahan - Sometimes I Wish We Were An Eagle
- Atlas Sound - Logos
- Blue Roses - Blue Roses
- The Phantom Band - Checkmate Savage
- Camera Obscura - My Maundlin Career
- Micachu - Jewellery
- Lets Wrestle - In the Court of the Wrestling Let's
- Manic Street Preachers - Journal For Plague Lovers
- worriedaboutsatan - Arrivals
- Mastodon - Crack the Skye
- Kong - Snake Magnet
- Cymbals Eat Guitars - Why There Are Mountains
- Slow Club - Yeah, So
- The Decemberists - The Hazards Of Love
- Grammatics - Grammatics
- Moderat - Moderat
- The Arctic Monkeys - Humbug
- The Veils - Sun Gangs
- Cold Cave - Love Comes Close
- Passion Pit - Manners
- Raekwon - Only Built For Cuban Lynx II
- Handsome Furs - Face Control
- Lightning Bolt - Earthly Delights
- Bibio - Ambievelance Avenue
- Oneida - Rated O
- Au Revoir Simone - Still Night/Still Light
- Emmy The Great - First Love
- The Maccabees - Wall Of Arms
Pretty well reflective, of the website as a whole, I think.
Once again, many thanks to ringtailedlemur, and everyone who voted in this, and everyone who made the DiS community such a magical (and sometimes WTF) place in 2009. I don't see things changing that much.
Click here to discuss the results, and argue 'til your black heart is content.