- Throbbing Gristle »
Industrial noise artists Throbbing Gristle, or more specifically the band's sound manipulation man, Chris Carter, have just announced the latest in a whole series of technological instruments, this time called a 'Gristleism'. Which is a rather neat name (via Limewire Blog).
There had previously been the Gristleizer, the effects processor used by the band, but the Gristleism is a wholly (OK, perhaps not) different prospect altogether. It is, according to the official website, "THE THROBBING GRISTLE PALM-SIZED LOOP PLAYBACK MACHINE". WANT.
It contains thirteen loops, a volume control, pitch control, "extended range" and comes in three colours, black, red and chrome. On/in it is a mix of experimental noise, drone, classic melodies and rhythms. Apparently. As you can also see it has a 50mm speaker and it's retailing at £19.99. I'll get two! One for Sundays!
Here's what one might look like in your (small and slightly deformed) hand:
Here's a SPECIAL EDITION, complete with badge:
And here's a Gristleism IN A BLOODY BOX!
Here's the tracklist for the (?) Gristleism:
- Hamburger Lady
- Twenty Jazz Funk Greats
- Thank You Brian
- Maggot Death
- Rabbit Snare
- Lyre Liar
- Wimpy Bar
- Sex String Theory
- Heathen Earth
- Industrial Intro
- R & D
- After After Cease To Exist
Here's about half of those tracks on a hastily-but-lovingly knocked up Spotify playlist.
You can pre-order this funky little box and find out more details from here.
- From John Cage to Liars via Nurse With Wound - A Brief History of Post-Industrial
- Mixtape: Factory Floor's Favourite Non-Traditional "Love Songs"
- Spotifriday #20 Side II: Kraftwerkweek as a playlist
- Spotifriday #18 - This Week on DiS as a playlist
- Throbbing Gristle take technology to previously unseen heights
- Throbbing Gristle, S.C.U.M at Heaven, London, Sun 21 Jun
- Shoegaze Week: Drowned in Shoegaze - 50 Essential Albums
- Primavera Sound: DiS' 2008 festival highlights