Yes, the rumours are TRUE. M.Ward, Conor Oberst, Mike Mogis and Jim James have all clubbed together to make an album. Their band: Monsters Of Folk, their album: Monsters Of Folk. Like Monsters of Rock y'see, but replacing one genre for another.
The awesome foursome had played together, toured together and, heck, maybe even slept together back in 2004. They then went their own separate ways, but eventually got round to recording this.
The record was recorded in Malibu, CA and Omaha, NE (both America) and, naturally was produced by Mr Mogis.
What with all these creative guys in one place, riffin', sharing ideas and such, one wonders how they've not come up with a better name. Well, never mind, let us folkies celebrate the news anyway.
Tracklisting is as follows:
- 'Dear God (sincerely M.O.F.)'
- 'Say Please'
- 'Whole Lotta Losin''
- 'The Right Place'
- 'Baby Boomer'
- 'Man Named Truth'
- 'Ahead of the Curve'
- 'Slow Down Jo'
- 'Losin Yo Head'
- 'Magic Marker'
- 'Map Of The World'
- 'The Sandman, the Brakeman and Me'
- 'His Master’s Voice'
Monsters Of Folk will be released on September 22 through Rough Trade. We can only hope for a full tour.
Photo by Autumn DeWilde
- M. Ward - A Wasteland Companion
- In Photos: End Of The Road Festival 2011 @ Larmer Tree Gardens, Dorset
- Watch: M. Ward performs with Norah Jones
- Spotify playlist: 10 Years of Solo Artists - Part 1: Pianos, Banjos, Drums + dropped Ds
- DiS meets She & Him
- Alex Chilton tribute concert to go ahead at SXSW, read tributes
- 4AD give away free 12-track sampler, lovely stuff
- M.Ward, Conor Oberst, Mike Mogis and Jim James to release album as Monsters Of Folk