There's some wonderful new additions to this year's Meltdown festival, hosted by the Southbank Centre and curated by jazz legend Ornette Coleman.
Antony Hegarty of Antony & The Johnsons fame is set to be Yoko Ono's special guest, whilst pint-sized virtuoso bassist and sometimes trumpeter Flea will be putting on his four-string to join Coleman on stage.
On Sunday June 14 Hegarty will be joining John Lennon's son Sean and Cornelius in the concept-rock band known as the Yoko Ono Plastic Ono Band. On Friday June 19, guitarist Bill Frissel will join Coleman for his second show whilst Flea jets in for Coleman's second show on June 21. That will make it not one, not two, but THREE bassists in that little ensemble. It's the stuff Les Claypool dreams of.
So far the line-up looks something like this:
The Roots with guest David Murray
David Murray & Gwo-Ka Masters
Yoko Ono Plastic Ono Band, featuring Sean Lennon, Cornelius & Antony Hegarty
Yo La Tengo
James Blood Ulmer
Patti Smith & Thee Silver Mount Zion Memorial Orchestra + Soap and Skin
Mike Patton & Fred Frith
Ornette Coleman with guest artist Bill Frisell
Charlie Haden's Liberation Music Orchestra with guests Carla Bley and Robert Wyatt + The Bad Plus
Kieran Hebden AKA Four Tet & Steve Reid with Mats Gustafsson
Voicelab People's Choir
Ornette Coleman with guests Charlie Haden & Flea
Bachir Attar & The Master Musicians of Jajouka
More information about Meltdown - which takes place from 13-21 June - and tickets on their website.
- Antony And The Johnsons - Cut the World
- Meltdown 2012: The DiS Preview + Playlist + Archive Content
- Antony And The Johnsons - Swanlights
- Watch: Antony & The Johnsons - 'Thank You For Your Love'
- Baby Dee - A Book of Songs for Anne Marie
- Manchester International Festival: the DiS review
- Hegarty, Flea and more for Ornette Coleman curated Meltdown
- This Week's Singles: 30/03/09