Approaching, finally, the beginnings of summer, DrownedinSound has had a quiet April so far mostly because we’ve been gabbling away like idiots at the thought of what a month May should be. Jens Lekman and HEALTH over in the UK on DiS-sponsored tours, Brighton’s Great Escape, both ATPs and the cherry, Primavera Sound in Barcelona.
‘Til then, though, we have the Camden Crawl – details of who we’ve got playing coming soon – and an apparently endless stream of ridiculous news stories (see below).
As well as what’s contained within the archives of this mailout, we’ve been in conversation with Grizzly Bear’s Ed Droste after his band were confirmed as tour support to Radiohead and our newly-launched brother site The Quietus was to be found blood-eyed and prostrate in cider pools of bonhomie with wizard photographer Steve Gullick. Click here to hear how that sounds, being as it was recorded for podcast.
Natalie Portman, with more facial hair
Mark E Smith set about red squirrels with hedge-clippers, a bearded man convinced Natalie Portman to be in his next video, James Brown 'died trying to come', the world was robbed of a second Calvin Harris album, Jay-Z did the Glastonbury okey-cokey as ticket sales stalled, Ringo Starr was finally beheaded in Liverpool, Doherty finally found himself in Wormwood Scrubs, Fall Out Boy were finally ditched on, Chinese Democracy was finally finished...
Festivals - Jay-Z, Radiohead, Amy Winehouse, Underworld, Santogold, The Coral, Nine Inch Nails, Rage Against the Machine, Santogold, KanYe West, The Raconteurs, Gnarls Barkley, Kings of Leon, Justice, Wilco, Bloc Party, Battles, Girl Talk, Hot Chip, The Mars Volta, The Go! Team, Grinderman, The Breeders, Noah & the Whale, Tindersticks, Mark Ronson, Hercules & Love Affair
Click here for a week in news…
Blood Red Shoes
A Week in Features
* D.I.Y. mobilising: Envy & Other Sins bite corporate bullets for their art
* Real-Life Processes: ¡Forward, Russia! on the making of their new LP
* DiSband #5: The Subways
* Track-by-Track: Blood Red Shoes reveal their Box Of Secrets
* Label Profile #16: Chemikal Underground
Single of the Week
* 65daysofstatic – ‘The Distant And Mechanised Glow Of Eastern European Dance Parties’ (Monotreme)
Click here for our Singles Round-up (07/04/2008)
A Week in Review
* The Raconteurs: Consolers of the Lonely
* Gnarls Barkley: The Odd Couple
* Tapes 'n Tapes: Walk It Off
* eMC: The Show
* Bumblebeez: Prince Umberto And The Sister Of Ill
* The Dø: A Mouthful
* White Denim @ Bloomsbury Bowling Lanes, London; 03/04/08
Message board ‘highlights’
* Glastonbury - What's going on???
…the 'crisis', DiScussed
* internet stalking
* Top 10 best new bands
* Can we all take a moment to laugh at this festival.
…“i love both KOOPA and RAGING SPEEDHORN!!!!!!!!!!”
…"People that support Liverpool... berets"
All at Drowned in Sound
Have a sudden desire for this to turn up in your inbox every Friday? There's a box below that'll get you wild.
Got news? Email us at email@example.com